Fantom XR vs XV5080

Fisnotigut

• Members

This really depends on your application. The Fantom XR has some nice samples in ROM that the XV5080 doesn't, particularly the "Superb Grand" piano sample and some orchestral instruments. If you've got the SRX11 and SRX06 cards you've alreay got better versions of those things. In fact if the quality of the samples in ROM is your main reason for upgrading I would recomment that you keep the XV5080 and invest your cash in some SRX boards.

The Fantom XR is very difficult to edit from the front panel, and while it has more room for user samples I much prefer the XV5080's ability to load Roland S700 samples directly from SCSI CD ROMs. In many ways the XV5080 was the crowning acheivement of Roland sound modules. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of it.

• Members

I have SRX05, SRX06, and SRX07 installed. I have no need for SRX11 since I use my Kurzweil for piano sounds. I was really hoping everything else would be better and benefit from the smaller physical footprint. But I believe I'll stick with what I have and save the money now. Thanks for the advice.

• Members

Thinking about upgrading my XV5080 to a Fantom XR. Is this worthwhile? Is the Fantom much better than the XV5080?

The XR isnt an upgrade unless you need a sampler.

I own both and I have some identical SRX board installed in both units and the fidelity isnt quite as snappy in the XR.

The XR has less outputs.

Navigating in the XR is extremely tedious as the screen is tiny and there are no soft keys like in the 5080.

The 5080 host both JV and SRX boards, the XR only works with SRX.

You also get 8 discrete digital outs on the 5080.

SInce you already own a 5080, look at the XR as an addendum to the 5080.

Archived