PODxt 3.01 + POD Buffer + Variax - MP3 clip

AndyZ

• Members

Well I got together with 2 buddies I play with and we did a real quick track about a minute long with some of the new XT 3.01 tones and using the POD Buffer by Paul Sanchez at Red Iron Amps ( http://www.redironamps.com ).

Used my Variax 500 for the clean stuff on the Strat model and LP Jr for the crunchy rhythms. Used my Telecaster Special with a Lil 59 in the bridge and Fender HB in the neck.

The clean guitars were the new AC-30, The crunch and lead track were with the new 18w Marshall model.

The clean and crunch rhythms were played in mono out of the XT, then were doubled. The bass was direct and the drums were Roland V drums.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/music/tritunes_funky_b.mp3

• Members

Originally posted by AndyZ

Well I got together with 2 buddies I play with and we did a real quick track about a minute long with some of the new XT 3.01 tones and using the POD Buffer by Paul Sanchez at Red Iron Amps (
).

Used my Variax 500 for the clean stuff on the Strat model and LP Jr for the crunchy rhythms. Used my Telecaster Special with a Lil 59 in the bridge and Fender HB in the neck.

The clean guitars were the new AC-30, The crunch and lead track were with the new 18w Marshall model.

The clean and crunch rhythms were played in mono out of the XT, then were doubled. The bass was direct and the drums were Roland V drums.

I really dig the lead tones. What were your settings?

• Members

Here is the base crunch and lead patch for the 18w Marshall. I probably tweaked it form this a bit. Just didn't save it. I've probably changed it a bit since then, but this should get ya close. I use this with my Atomic Amp, so you may need to adjust per your taste a bit. You'll need the Line 6 Edit version 3 program to load it up.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/patches/Atomic_PODxt_301/ATX18Crunch.l6t

• Members

Here is the base crunch and lead patch for the 18w Marshall. I probably tweaked it form this a bit. Just didn't save it. I've probably changed it a bit since then, but this should get ya close. I use this with my Atomic Amp, so you may need to adjust per your taste a bit. You'll need the Line 6 Edit version 3 program to load it up.

Thanks.

• Members

Thanks guys! I keep saying I'll some comparison clips, but time just gets in the way. Between producing 3 acts and playing myself, I don't get as much me time as I'd like in the studio. I just need to make a concious effort to do the comp clips.

• Members

So Andy, you use a POD, the buffer and the atomic? Or do you use the buffer just for direct recording and the atomic for live? I know you have other amps and such.
I use the XT Live currently with just a crap Crate solid state! It's going really soon, I know Atomic is coming out with a larger amp as well, too bad they wouldn't have the Buffer squeezed into that chain somewhere permanent.
My objective is to make one set of patches for both live and in the studio with a direct out. I know, I know the Vetta 2 can do that but I don't have an extra $1000 to use for that setup.
Thanks man
The V3 updates are really great.
Can't wait to get the bass pack too.
Later

• Members

seclusion... Thanks! I primarily use the POD and Buffer for direct studio stuff. I have used the POD, Buffer and 1 Atomic but mostly for rehearsal and some sessions. I find the Buffer helps a little on cleaer patches with the Atomic, but I notice teh biggest difference on Marshall like patches. And I think because it really boosts the upper mids, it gives it more precence because it cuts a bit of the lows. It's an option, but I don't think the Atomic really needs it. Live, I usually use 2 Atomics in stereo. In the studio just 1 Atomic and then multitrack parts.

Yeah the new Atomic 212 kicks azz. I've played the prototype and ya know what? The line forms behind me to get one! haha!

I currently use the same set patches in the studio and live, but I will say they 99% of the time studio patches do get tweaked to make it sit a bit better in the track as needed. Just the nature of the beast.

I'm digging the 3.0 reelase a lot. Heck I was a beta tester so I've been using it over a month now!

• Members

Has Atomic given you a rough timeline of the release of the 212?
Without details can you give us any info on what it may be like?
I know I'll always tweak, but currently sounds aren't even close in the idea of what they sound like from the amp to direct!

• Members

Yes they have and I can't really devulge that. All I can see it's really really soon. Personally I'm glad they took every step of the build so meticulous. The end result will show.

The amp is a bluesbreaker styled 212. 55w and I believe 6L6 tubes. And not much heavier than the current 112. Noticable, but still lighter than a lot of other amps. It just sounds great! It will really be much closer to direct mode what you hear through the speakers. I do believe I'll need 2 of those too! :eek:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's not my auction, just an FYI to ya, since some of you are interested in the BufferX2.

Paul Sanchez from Red Iron Amps informed this morning that he has a Buffer unit for auction on eBay... Unit is perfect, just some paint blemishes, so it may be a great way to get it a bit cheaper!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:11&item=7420776257

• Members

Well I got together with 2 buddies I play with and we did a real quick track about a minute long with some of the new XT 3.01 tones and using the POD Buffer by Paul Sanchez at Red Iron Amps (
).

So how do you use the buffer? Do you plug the guitar into the buffer and then into the XT? Does the buffer come after the XT? Are you going into a good mic pre before your converter and computer?

Steve

• Members

SAH, in this case it was Guitar >> PODxt >> BufferX2 >> ProTools Digi002. The rhythm guitars (clean and crunch both) were mono, then double tracked. Lead was mono. At my regular recording studio I run a Mix+ system usually with a Jim Williams or Symetrix MicPre. This time it was done at the drummers bedroom studio.

• Members

SAH, in this case it was Guitar >> PODxt >> BufferX2 >> ProTools Digi002. The rhythm guitars (clean and crunch bot) were mono, then double tracked. Lead was mono. At my regular recording studio I run a Mix+ system usually with a Jim Williams or Symetrix MicPre. This time it was done at the drummers bedroom studio.

Thanks! Appreciate the response. Couple more questions...

I have a Mix+ system at home with a 888/24 I/O and a Great Rivers MP2NV mic pre (Neve 1073) clone. If you had that equipment available would you still use the buffer? Would you go Guitar -> PODXT -> BufferX2 -> Great Rivers pre - 888/24 I/O? or Would you go Guitar -> BufferX2 -> PODXT -> digital to 888/24 I/O digital? In either case, what does the buffer do to improve the tone?

Thanks (I'm thinking about bidding on that eBay auction)...

Steve

• Members

SAH, in this case it was Guitar >> PODxt >> BufferX2 >> ProTools Digi002. The rhythm guitars (clean and crunch both) were mono, then double tracked. Lead was mono. At my regular recording studio I run a MixI'm + system usually with a Jim Williams or Symetrix MicPre. This time it was done at the drummers bedroom studio.

BTW - How do you feel about end of support for your MIX+ stuff? I'm bummed I can't get software upgrades anymore (especially PT 7). Are you gonna upgrade? Too expensive for me to replace my machine, convertors and PT cards (I have 7 cards - 2 MIX and 5 vintage farms...)

Steve

• Members

sah... I would go Guitar -> PODXT -> BufferX2 -> Great Rivers pre - 888/24 I/O? And I use it everytime now at my regular studio. It adds warmth and more of a real tube 3d presence, especially into the PT enviornment. Dialing in the gain/sustainstage can also give you a bit more that tube sag type of feel. I never record without it anymore! Works great on my Atomic Amps too!

Chubtone, the link is on the upper right part of the home page on their site. Where it says Signal Buffer under new products. Can't remember the prices right now, but there are 2 versions.

• Members

Oh yeah Steve... We're staying on Mix Plus for now until we get one of our acts signed and can realistically afford to go to HD.

Not sure where you are at here in LA, but I might be able to arrange for you to try my Buffer before the auction is over if time permits. Email or PM me.

• Members

Oh yeah Steve... We're staying on Mix Plus for now until we get one of our acts signed and can realistically afford to go to HD.

Not sure where you are at here in LA, but I might be able to arrange for you to try my Buffer before the auction is over if time permits. Email or PM me.

Yeah, I see you're in the same boat on MIX+, except my stuff is in a home studio with no chance of revenue!!!

Very kind of you to offer to try the buffer, Andy! I'm out in OC, so I think I'm just gonna bid and see how I like it if I win!

Appreciate your insights!

Steve

Archived