Help with live performance rig

NeonMarmot

• Members

Hello!

My friend and I are looking to do live performances, but it's just the two of us and we need at a minimum 4* different layers going on at once, with minimal pre recorded material , as in we want to record everything live; as we are performing.

Where would be a good place to start?

If it matters, the instruments :

Guitar

Violin

Synth (2 layers)

Drums

Vocals

If I was unclear here's my question :

What gear is necessary for 2 people to create a live performance with minimal pre recorded material? (with at least 4* tracks)

edited, and I rethought this and it's actually gonna be more like 4 or 5 tracks

Thanks!

• Members

If you had a guitar with a hexaphonic pickup and Roland's VG-99, you could simultaneously output a guitar audio signal plus MIDI data to control an external module, so that's two parts right there. (Though with pitch -> MIDI conversion being what it is, you're best off triggering pads with this setup, rather than trying to play melodies.)

With two keyboards and a set of organ pedals, one person could play an additional three parts.

Then you'd just add one or two mics for vocals, I suppose, but you'd need some mighty coordination to play three keyboard parts and sing, all at the same time.

I'd think that depending on how your music is structured, a set of grooveboxes and a laptop running Ableton would work fairly well.

• Members

If you had a guitar with a hexaphonic pickup and Roland's VG-99, you could simultaneously output a guitar audio signal plus MIDI data to control an external module, so that's two parts right there. (Though with pitch -> MIDI conversion being what it is, you're best off triggering pads with this setup, rather than trying to play melodies.)

With two keyboards and a set of organ pedals, one person could play an additional three parts.

Then you'd just add one or two mics for vocals, I suppose, but you'd need some mighty coordination to play three keyboard parts and sing, all at the same time.

I'd think that depending on how your music is structured, a set of grooveboxes and a laptop running Ableton would work fairly well.

Thanks for the response!

I think the last option you mentioned (ableton + grooveboxes) would work the best...

The only problem is I don't have a laptop, and the closest thing to ableton I have is sequel 2... which is currently not working :facepalm:

What's the cheapest laptop I could get that would run ableton (or any other DAW) well?

• Members

I have seen some players use those digital loopers to great effect where you start with basic rhythms and build on them using your instruments, vocal effects, percussion, etc. No sequencing or prerecorded material is necessary at all and audiences seem to get a kick out of it.

• Members

I have seen some players use those digital loopers to great effect where you start with basic rhythms and build on them using your instruments, vocal effects, percussion, etc. No sequencing or prerecorded material is necessary at all and audiences seem to get a kick out of it.

Ah, I was thinking about that-

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/looper-sampler-guitar-effects-pedals?N=100001+338515&Ns=P_RatingOverall|1&rpp=20

If I was to go that route, does anyone have any input on any of these?

The digitech jamman seems like the obvious choice... is there something I'm overlooking though?

The EHX one looks nice too, but it's a bit costly...

• Members

Looping is art, but it might be the simplest way to start, depending on how your music is put together. A laptop would be both an instrument and sequencer, you would also need a mixer. Check my sig for what I use in my live rig.

BTW, yes, it is a big pain in the ass to tear down, set up, and then tear it down and take back home....

• Members

Looping is art, but it might be the simplest way to start, depending on how your music is put together. A laptop would be both an instrument and sequencer, you would also need a mixer. Check my sig for what I use in my live rig.

BTW, yes, it is a big pain in the ass to tear down, set up, and then tear it down and take back home....

What do you recommend for looping?

edit -

as far as this one goes

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Classics-2880-Super-MultiTrack-Looper?sku=153338

if I'm using both my hands to play the synth, how do I cut the loops?

Do I have to midi it to a foot controller?

Also, I have an sp 404... I can use that to create loops the only problem is then I have to cut them, and make sure they're the proper length... etc...

will I be able to get clean cut loops on the pedals?

• Members

I do not really loop. I know people that do. If it were me I would sequence it on a computer or my Machine Drum.

You control the loop points, usually, with a press of one or two foot buttons on the looper. It just takes practice, a lot of it, to catch your loops at the correct start and stop points so that it sounds perfect...every time. I know it can be done, but I do not have much luck with it. Like I said, I would sequence it.

Archived