Electricians! Help!

juliancs

• Members

Hi all.

I started to get a fuzz on my clean channel in my amp. After opening the amp and looking at the speakers, finding the un damaged, I changed guitars and cables. Still the same problem. So i slugge d it down to the repair shop and lo behold, the {censored}er works perfect. I take it home, it works ok again.After a while, the fuzzing returns and i change the plug -> as in I change what plug the power sup goes into. Works fine.

I am also finding i get random spots of extra static/white noise on my computer speakers, albeit very quiet. They are both plugged into muli-sockets, but they are going into different mains slots..

I know zero about electronics, but to me this seems, especially after fixing the problem by switching the plug, that it is a problem with electronics somewhere. Anyone give advice on the next step? For now the amp works again, but...

Thanks, as always :thu:

Julian

• Members

hey there. sounds like you might have a problem with grounding. usually this manifests itself as a 60-cycle hum that just won't go away. that happens from a lack of grounding. the other problems that can happen (albeit not very common) wind up sounding like static, or some sort of am-radio-sounding phenomena. i'd suggest getting your computer and all periphpery equipment plugged into the same outlet. as far as the amp is concerned, if it starts happening again, you could try it in a few outlets around your house, and if it does it everywhere, you might have a loose ground at your main breaker panel or behind the meter (please don't mess with these yourself unless you know what you're doing!). at that point, you could get a qualified electrician (or if you live in a rent-house, maintenance) to tighten things up. otherwise, it may be some sort of radio frequency interference, and that's a little harder to get rid of. you would then just have to find the spots in your room that don't have that problem...sort of like the reverse of getting the best radio reception.

j

Archived