Can't get anyone to play w/ me....

bobbtoz

• Members

Long story short I've been trying to get a buddy of my to commit to putting a band together. Nothing major, just for fun. Practice once to twice a week and see were it goes from their. He keeps bitching and moaning and ultimatley it just isn't going to work. I've tried everything to accomodate him and he is just to pesemistic (sp) to work with.

My problem is I have no connections w/ anyone else that plays an instrument. I've put an add on a local guitar stores web site, but have no interest. It should be noted that my playing skills are not the best, but I can hang w/ most of the rythym playing for the music I'm interested in, which is 80's metal. I'm sure some will say that's my problem right their, but thats what I enjoy playing and will stick w/ what I enjoy.

Any suggestions? I'm in my late 30's and have a professional career so I'm looking to hook up w/ like minded people. Just looking to have some fum and play in a band. It's harder than you think when your older and my only connection to music talk is through you guys. I've attended a couple of meet and greets by local music stores, but no luck.

I've been playing for about 15 years. 14 of those years was spent jamming on my own. Its a huge eye openor when you start jamming w/ others and your skills improve so much quicker than playing alone. Well, thats how it worked for me.

Anyone feel my pain?

• Members

I have the smae problem. There is just nobody in my area to jam with:mad: . Every chance I get to play withh a drummer, I take without even thinking about it. Last year I played with this kid and his drummer for fun (they were already in a band), and we played Puppets all the way through. It honestly gave me the chills because we were dead on the entire time. But I haven't played with another guitarist and a drummer since:cry: It's just a whole different atmosphere, and I would love to be in a band, but there are no other potential members

• Members

Is Craig's List strong in your area?

That's how I got into the last two bands I've been in. Takes a while to find "the right" people but it's worth it.

Like you, I have a career, not looking to make it big...just want to play out!

Posting at GC might help...and the jam nights are always a good place to meet other musicians.

Good luck, don't give up...

• Members

Oh, and I will mention, the 80's thing (which is what I do) takes a lot longer. You can get into a top 40 band pretty easily but, if you want to play the music your REALLY like...it WILL take longer.

Just seems that music is out of favor and no one wants to take a chance...practice a {censored} load....and not get booked.

• Members

You just need to know people. You can't expect anyone good to respond to an ad anyway.

Just make sure to go to local shows and after the band is done, go talk to them. If they're good, see their next show and talk to them there. Maybe strike up a convo with their friends while they're playing. After a while, you get to know these people and their friends (many of whom will also be musicians) and you can then ask people to jam and start up a project.

95% of being a successful musician is just being someone people want to be friends with.

Also, use the internet. There's probably local forums for musicians in your area, and you can always resort to myspace.

• Members

Originally posted by Draugr

maybe your cute icon is fagg'n him out?

I'm seriously laughing my ass off!!!!

Their some good suggestions here, which I will look into.

The past year I've managed to hook up w/ a couple of differnet guys to jam with. Some were just headed in a different direction musically another guy (drummer) I clicked w/ very well, but he's hooked on oxycotin (issues I won't associate myself with) and my buddy who plays drums really freak'n good, but he has no interest.

It sounds like their is a few of us from the island of misfit toys. Maybe someone will get something out of this thread and some guys will hook up and jam.

Keep the suggestions coming.

• Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Is Craig's List strong in your area?

That's how I got into the last two bands I've been in. Takes a while to find "the right" people but it's worth it.

Like you, I have a career, not looking to make it big...just want to play out!

Posting at GC might help...and the jam nights are always a good place to meet other musicians.

Good luck, don't give up...

How do you search for a band on craigs list?

• Members

Bob i feel your pain ;)

I`m about 150km from the most isolated capitol city in the world (Perth) i`m not aware of anyone here being into playing any sort of instrument.

I`m 35 and own my own business so i`m flat tack with work 90% of the time anyway but it`d be great to have some buddies to jam with on weekends.

Most of my buddies arent into music on any level so i`m stuck here with backing tracks unfortunately.

Good luck mate and hope you find some decent people to jam with.

Brad

• Members

hey guys. heres my advice. finding a band takes time. lots of it.

remember that really, its like finding a good friend/girlfriend.

youhave to take the initiative.

if you want "buddies to jam with" then go out and hang at the clubs where musicians go, but remember that "WE " are often a clicky and self centered lot. also being 38 myself, i am fully aware that it gets hardedr every year to meet people cause now all the ads are by 18-25 year olds.

so if a band is what you really want, then you have to make sacrifices and move to where the {censored} is happening!! my aussie brother 150 km out of perth, im sure it sucks to be stuck there {for some things} but if you want a band, move to perth or brisbane or sydney!!! whatever!!

i came to vancouver in 90. i was from alberta. i was a throwback from the 80's i was still trying to fit in with the glam crowd, when i got here it was all grunge. i got laughed at so hard!. i auditioned for so many bands it made my head spin. after 6 years. i got a break. i responded to a ad in the local rag. we played and toure for years. now i have 3 bands i play with, even though they all are variations of the same 7 guys

i met "63 strat" here omline.we got together and played, now we have a band forming, and have become good friends.

just have patience and gey out there.

it wont come to you!!! go to IT!!

• Members

Originally posted by bobbtoz

I'll check that out.

Do you still have the Hot Cat 30R? I've been missing that amp alot lately.

I do and am lovin' it!

A number of amps have come and gone for me lately but the Hotcat is staying put for now..

I just love how the lead tone can be sooo thick, yet get that Plexi like upper mid vowelly chirp to it... awesome!

• Members

Originally posted by Urban Ghandi

Oh, and I will mention, the 80's thing (which is what I do) takes a lot longer. You can get into a top 40 band pretty easily but, if you want to play the music your REALLY like...it WILL take longer.

Just seems that music is out of favor and no one wants to take a chance...practice a {censored} load....and not get booked.

this is true it seems. I've been trying to get a death/thrash metal band going for the last 7 years and more often than not, I'm by myself writing what are IMHO some great songs that noone will ever get to hear. i havent even gotten to play out since early '99. {censored}in' sucks cuz I would like to get out there, play some shows, and make a few CD's and see what happens. i wont play anything else...dont know how, and just dont care too...not an elitist thing, just not into it. If it aint fast and heavy, it aint gonna put a fire under my ass. I get more bitter every year, but thats life i suppose. What sucks, is i find a fair amount of people but, there either not really serious, or they are, but the got bigger commitments to family and stuff that pretty much kills any other than a casual jam every couple of months. The biggest problem is finding drummers into this music, and even more so, ones who can PLAY it.

I keep looking though...I'm too stubborn to give up, or do anything else. I figure that eventually i'll punch through if i keep whaling at it enough, so to speak.

• Members

Originally posted by Rufus Leaking

Have you ever looked on the HC musician's ads? You can search by zip code - it's a great resource;

I do all the time...all i can find recently are top 40 cover bands, jam bands, or pop-rock/radio friendly. I sometimes think i'm the only metalhead left in CT.

• Members

Originally posted by scott_335

I would try to become a second guitarist in a band. Craigslist is perfect for this. If you live near a community collge see if they have a rock band class. I bet you work with some people who ar your age and play an instrument.

i have no luck with Craigs either....once again...more of the same {censored}

Archived