Fret edges are sticking out of the side of neck.

bobbtoz

• Members

I noticed when playing a couple of days ago the edges of the frets were sticking out of my guitar neck. I know the cause of this is wood shrinkage. Can anyone give me some hints on how to take care of this myself. Not looking to drop it off at a guitar tech and wait two weeks, unless I have to.

Thanks Bob T.

• Members

Originally posted by bobbtoz

I noticed when playing a couple of days ago the edges of the frets were sticking out of my guitar neck. I know the cause of this is wood shrinkage. Can anyone give me some hints on how to take care of this myself. Not looking to drop it off at a guitar tech and wait two weeks, unless I have to.

Thanks Bob T.

My suhr i used to own had the same problem. Frets that stick over the edge bug the hell out of me.

• Members

A tech will just file them down for you. I suppose you could do it yourself, somebody will chime in with the proper file to use, technique, etc. Me, I don't have the gonads needed to take a file to a guitar neck.

And yeah, it's just the low humidity. If it's not too bad, bringing the room up to the proper humidity level and keeping it there might reverse the problem. It will definitely prevent it from happening again.

• Members

dude just take a nail filer (metal) and file it down carefully. I did it myself on the top of the fret to eliminate fret buzz and it wasn't very difficult. just give it slow even strokes as to not cause any damage to the actual neck.

• Members
Originally posted by exposeenmity

could be caused by low humidity. Try raising the humidity level where you store your guitar if you can. If it doesn't get better after a couple days, I don't know what to tell ya besides take it to a tech.

Right after I posted this I went to check the guitar out (I had not played it for several days). I made some previous adjutments in the humidity level and it worked. The neck feels fine.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by dorkstar1

This is a bit off topic, but I didn't see your hotcat 30r listed in your current gear. Do you still have it? If not, what happened with it?

I sold that to a fellow formite about 5 months ago. Every now and than I touch base to see how he likes it. He still digs it. I miss the {censored} out of that amp. I could see me purchasing another some day. Right now I have a Splawn QR on the way. If that doesn't sound good at semi-low volumes than I'll be looking for something else. Its really difficult to beat the shiva I have. That amp has seen many amps come and go, but nothing has kicked it in the dirt.

• Members

Originally posted by Veee

Your guitar is way to dry - humidify.

+1

I had the same problem with my Anderson. The tech who works on my guitars gave me a good tip to avoid this kind of thing: take a small tupperware container, poke holes in its lid, and put a damp cloth in it.

Archived