4x12 vs. 2x12

lightning_rider

• Members

I'm gonna be playing through a 6505+ head, in small club gigs as well as larger ones. The larger gigs will probably involve micing the amp, though. So, my point is, will a 2x12 such as an Earcandy Buzzbomb be loud enough? Plus, I heard 2x12s sound tighter a more defined than 4x12. Suggestions?

• Members

2x12s have less bass than 4x12s, so the mids and highs will be more apparent. They're also more portable, naturally. The big thing is, you have to get 2x12s off the ground and pointed more at your head, otherwise you'll turn up a ton to hear yourself, and the guitarist or bassist on the other side of the stage is going to get overwhelmed. So, my vote is for 2x12s, if you can get a roadcase or whatever to stack it on top of.

• Members

Originally posted by emodot

The big thing is, you
have
to get 2x12s off the ground and pointed more at your head, otherwise you'll turn up a ton to hear yourself, and the guitarist or bassist on the other side of the stage is going to get overwhelmed.

+100.

• Members

The best setup is (2) 2x12 cabs, a 4x12 will have more lowend because of the extra 2 speakers, but with 2 cabs you get all the lowend. Take one cab to smaller clubs, both to bigger shows. Easier to transport, and more options. Anyone who says a 4x12 has more lowend than (2) 2x12 cabs has never played both setups. You can also get cabs that convert to a semi-open back and run one cab open and one closed. Monster tone.

Archived