What amp to get? $500-600

Rykoro

• Members

I'm just wondering what amp you guys recommend. I want to spend around $500-600. Has to be a combo amp.

I'm looking for a good amp to play stuff like Megadeth, Dreamtheater, Death, and some Iron Maiden.

I already have a Zoom 505II pedal. (I know...but I got it cheap.)

I did buy a Line 6 50w 120 amp...and I sold it like 2 weeks later...it sucked balls once I got home and really started trying it out (but sounded good in the store, figures eh?). So I figure I would ask you guys what amp to get...seems like most of you are fairly good in this department =D

Thanks in advance.

• Members

Yeah my problem with Mesa is they sell nowhere in New Brunswick...and I really want to buy an amp localy, or at least play it before I buy...and with Mesa thats not really an option. :(

Got any other ideas?..

• Members

Originally posted by gravfed

Look for a 5150 combo....I think I saw one on here for $475 the other day.

Yeah it seems the 5150 is a popular choice but browsing around at stores I never saw one...do they still make them? I did see a few 6150 I think it was called..did that replace it or something?

• Members

Also hows the Peavey ValveKing? I saw 1 of thoes in town but some guy was plugged in for over an hour so I left without playing it.

Are they good for this type of music?
(had a really nice price...and I don't mind saving some money =D )

• Members

Originally posted by Rykoro

Yeah it seems the 5150 is a popular choice but browsing around at stores I never saw one...do they still make them? I did see a few 6150 I think it was called..did that replace it or something?

They don't make 5150's anymore. They are called 6505's and they are, for the most part, identical to the 5150's

• Members

Originally posted by LedZep77

They don't make 5150's anymore. They are called 6505's and they are, for the most part, identical to the 5150's

Wow...I saw that amp in town, a 212...it was well over 1000$...

Any idea where i could get one used that would fit into my price range? (a 5150 or 6505 that is)

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

XXX combo of some sort!

I paid $400 for my XXX 40. I've seen XXX 40 EFX's go for $500 and under.

I had a Spider II before the XXX 40 and haven't regretted that upgrade since.

Yeah...I really hated my Spider...I tryed to love it, even borrowed pedals and stuff, but the love couldn't be made =D

Also...where I live in Canada it's hard for me to get to a B-52 amp to test...1 dealer here in Quebec, and thats quite a few hours away for just a test...but whos knows, I'll ask some people at school, might be one around.

Archived