Emu XROM compatibility issues in rack mount Proteus??

CaveDweller

• Members

Howdy. I recently popped an XROM (NOT the XL Rom) from an XK6 keyboard into my Proteus 2000 rack unit and have found that the Decay/Release function is not working for any of the patches. I have three other ROMs in the Proteus unit (ALL of them came directly out of various rack mount Protei) and have no such problem with any of them. Since the Proteus rack units only have 3 banks in the "filter/knob" section and the keyboard versions (i.e. XK6) have 4 banks,...could there be a compatibilty issue whereby my Proteus is unable to access this function (decay/release) from the front panel knobs? Perhaps the XROM board is programmed for the keyboard version and not the rack unit. Most of the other parameter adjustments seem okay, with the exception of the other 2 knobs in the middle row of the filter bank (labeled "movement" and "rate") which seem to work sporadically. AGAIN,..this problem is ONLY apparent on the XROM board....the other 3 ROMs (in my Proteus) I can tweak perfectly. Any thoughts? Thanks.

• Members

Check out the XL7 groups at Yahoo's :

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/message/18385

X-Lead v2 was the ROM that came with the XK-6 keyboard. It's an updated version of the original XLead set which came with the XL-1. It was reworked for the XL-7, then reworked again for the XK-6. It should

have a bunch of "key" presets that were designed for the keyboard.

There might have been a while when the XK-6 shipped with an "XK-6" soundset, but that would have been short lived, if at all (I can't remember).

Eventually, the goal was to standardize all of the 16-controller products on one ROM (per type). I can't remember if that ever happened, or if production stopped before it did.

You could try to load the XL1 or XL7 patches instead of the stock XK ones, and I was about to point you to EMU's website, but it's down at the moment. :facepalm:

See the Files section of the aforementioned group or the p2k group as well :

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/xl7/files

/Command%20Station%20Data/

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/p2k/files/

:D

• Members

The knob functions are different for all of the different proteus machines/ROMS (rack modules, keyboards + command stations). The knobs are assigned, and can be re-assigned/edited, in the patchcord section.

If you can find the xl1 presets you could load those and then the knobs on your 2000 will work as labeled.

• Members

The knob functions are different for all of the different proteus machines/ROMS (rack modules, keyboards + command stations).

Upon further tweaking I've actually found that on some of the XROM patches I CAN adjust "decay/release"....it's just that the function has defaulted to a completely different knob (than is used by my other 3 ROM boards). Hmmmm.

Pretty good sounding ROM in all other respects....useful sounds abound. Cheers.

Archived