Questions about CAA OD-100 SE

JohnRageOn

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The classic is an EL34 amp with MUCH less gain on channel 2. The OD100 SE is the highest gain that the Suhr folks make. It is essentially channel 3 on the famous 3 channel preamp. The standard OD100 uses 5881's. John will pretty much mod the OD100 to whatever you want for the right money and even the prices are really low for mods. GREAT customer service from those guys.......

Chris

Check out www.suhrguitars.com

• Members

The Classic is a low gain EL34 heavily Marshall flavored amp (think early '70s metal panel). The Classic came about due to Scott Henderson & Mike Landau (who both use a lot of pedals) wanting a low gain head to use a base tone or platform to launch or build on.

The SE is a modified high gain Marshall flavor with a smoother and slightly more compressed (still one of the most open sounding high gain amps around though) voicing, the simply cuts thru any mix like a samurai sword. Think Dokken, Whitesnake, Iron Maiden.

If you're more in to blues or classic rock and own a few pedals, the Classic is for you. If you like '80s metal, hard rock, prefer having the extra gain on tap w/o any need for pedals, get the SE.

Both have killer clean channels.

:thu:

• Members

Well I've heard the new version of OD-100 (not the SE) and it seemed to me that it had fair enough gain (enough for heavy rhythm). I've also heard the preamp, that's why I asked. The OD-100 SE must be near the old 3+ SE preamp territory. And yes I know that John can do any mod you ask. He's one of the nicest persons in the biz! When I bought the Suhr guitar, I emailed him about setup suggestions and he responded immediately. Check out his forum also.

But to me even the new OD-100 seemed to have enough gain! With a treble boost you can do amazing things, and it clears pretty well when you lower the volume + it has amazing cleans!!!

Archived