Toneport UX2 - quality purchase

ratter

• Members

Finally got to mic my amp with it for a minute. My playing is sucking worse than usual, so no clips, but it really sounded quite good as a mic pre. Ran two '57s, one into the "American" mic pre model and one into the "British" - both sounded good, just two different flavors. Haven't gotten to messing with the compression and such yet. For $200, that's good stuff.

If anybody's interested, I'll have my original MOTU 828 for sale soon - $250.

• Members

Originally posted by jem7vwh

So would you say its as good or better than miking a cab with a usb/firewire interface near the same price?

Well my other interface is that 828, which is Firewire, 8 in/out, spdif etc. etc. A "higher end" piece...at least back when it was new. I'm sure it's probably "cleaner" than the toneport, but for what I do just dicking around with guitar clips and stuff, I don't think having a neutral-sounding preamp is necessarily a good idea. And the 828 doesn't have any processing involved, so if you want compressor/eq/etc., you'd have to run plugins. So I'm liking the Toneport because you can get different sounds out of the different preamp models, eq, comp, etc. And I can use it for late-night practicing with the amp sims...

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Well my other interface is that 828, which is Firewire, 8 in/out, spdif etc. etc. A "higher end" piece...at least back when it was new. I'm sure it's probably "cleaner" than the toneport, but for what I do just dicking around with guitar clips and stuff, I don't think having a neutral-sounding preamp is necessarily a good idea. And the 828 doesn't have any processing involved, so if you want compressor/eq/etc., you'd have to run plugins. So I'm liking the Toneport because you can get different sounds out of the different preamp models, eq, comp, etc. And I can use it for late-night practicing with the amp sims...

I just recently bough an M-Audio Black Box. It was between the Tone Port and the Black Box. The only reason I got the Black Box was because of the drumb box in it and the time synced effects.

I love it as well. Just used the mike preamp once and it was on an acoustic guitar. Sounded pretty good too.

These wonder boxes make it so easy to do simple recordings and I guess some not so simple stuff as well.

Both of these units are like 200 bucks and I agree they are worth every penny. Best bang for the buck since I bought an Agile LP!

What kind of recording software did the tone port come with?

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

I just recently bough an M-Audio Black Box. It was between the Tone Port and the Black Box. The only reason I got the Black Box was because of the drumb box in it and the time synced effects.

I love it as well. Just used the mike preamp once and it was on an acoustic guitar. Sounded pretty good too.

These wonder boxes make it so easy to do simple recordings and I guess some not so simple stuff as well.

Both of these units are like 200 bucks and I agree they are worth every penny. Best bang for the buck since I bought an Agile LP!

What kind of recording software did the tone port come with?

It comes with a very limited version of Ableton Live, I believe. Which is kind of a weird program to begin with. But I don't use it...

It is pretty silly what you can get for $200 nowadays...

• Members

It comes with a very limited version of Ableton Live, I believe. Which is kind of a weird program to begin with. But I don't use it...

It is pretty silly what you can get for $200 nowadays...

Mine also came with Abelton Live. I was able to do a free upgrade to a newer version and I agree it is wierd. I have stuck with it and it is a pretty cool program.

What are you using to record?

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

Mine also came with Abelton Live. I was able to do a free upgrade to a newer version and I agree it is wierd. I have stuck with it and it is a pretty cool program.

What are you using to record?

Digital Performer or Garageband. Ableton is cool, but it's definitely odd at first. Like Tracktion - it's a weird one too.

• Members

Digital Performer or Garageband. Ableton is cool, but it's definitely odd at first. Like Tracktion - it's a weird one too.

Well to be honest I am not using it by choice. I just don't have the cash to spend for something else.

Pro Tools has a guitar related product. M Pro or something. I just ain't gonna spend 300+.

Good luck with your Tone Port.

Archived