Epiphone Valve Jr Head stock vs modded clips...

AndyZ

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

I am curious what this circuit would sound like if it was made from top to bottom with high-quality parts.

Gibson GA-5.

although, that could be medium quality parts.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IP, yep the OT is the key ingredient.

It seems that a $99 mod fee is out of the question, which seemed to be the no brainer price. But the cost for the mod by my amp guys would be more, but definitely not near the MM price point.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

I HAVE built one with good parts. Sounds pretty nice to me, with some of the better tonal qualities of an AC30, except there's stupid levels of gain available for that type of amp.

seems weird even with the 68k/68k voltage divider just at the input, a tech question: doesn't that voltage divider make the input impedance waaay low??

• Members
Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

seems weird even with the 68k/68k voltage divider just at the input, a tech question: doesn't that voltage divider make the input impedance waaay low??

its set up similar to the "low" input of a fender amp...modding it to be closer to the "high" input makes more sense to me...also, raising the impedence by moving the 1M resistor (going by the "memory" of the schemo here....) to directly in front of the 12ax7 should help a bit.

cathode resistor values of approx 10u on the 12ax7 and .68u or so on el84 might tame a bit of gain and pull out some "wooliness" as well...

output tranny...lots of options...doesnt need to be MM, though those are certainly nice...but just upgrading to a higher quality one should help quite a bit, as andyz mentioned....maybe a heyboer or similar...

hopefully mine will arrive soon so i can start tearing it apart :D

anyone tried using a 12av7 in place of the ax7 in it ?

Archived