Preamp pedal...

G-tarist

• Members

The most complicated setup I've ever used is my current which is a Fender Pro Junior with a Boss DS-2. I'm wanting to make my setup alot more versatile.

I'm interested in buying a tube preamp pedal such as the Mesa Boogie V-twin or the Soldano Supercharger or a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman.

The thing is I don't know much about how I'd use them live, because my amp already has a preamp right?

Sorry if that sounded dumb...and thanks for your help.

• Members

Well they can act just like a transistor overdrive pedal. Only they have a more tube type tone. Which usually means richer and smoother sounding. Depending on how you set them they can either make your overall tone louder, or they can overdrive the front end of your amp for more distortion and sustain.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by G-tarist

The most complicated setup I've ever used is my current which is a Fender Pro Junior with a Boss DS-2. I'm wanting to make my setup alot more versatile.

I'm interested in buying a tube preamp pedal such as the Mesa Boogie V-twin or the Soldano Supercharger or a Hughes and Kettner Tubeman.

The thing is I don't know much about how I'd use them live, because my amp already has a preamp right?

Sorry if that sounded dumb...and thanks for your help.

Hey G-tarist,

I own a Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp pedal. I use it a lot at my Top 40 gigs or if I have to go onstage with a host amp. I connect it to the host's amp effects loop return. I use the Tubeman preamp pedal and a Mesa Boogie Simul-Satellite combo amp onstage:
Newpedalboard2.jpg
Sim_Sat_1.jpg

It's a very versatile setup. The pedalboard picture is old and doesn't show my latest setup on it.

Guitar George

• Members

The basic ingredient of my "signature" tone from here on out is:
High voltage Tube Preamp pedal-->Solid state preamp-->Tube power Amp.

This in theory allows me to combine/blend the best qualities of solid state and tube preamps together. Best of both worlds, in theory. (the tightness of solid state+the breathing quality of tubes blending harmoniously into one sonic palette). I'm still experimenting with blending the right amounts of each... and trying different tube pedals.
I'm constantly having to fight discouraging mud.

I use tube preamp pedals the same way i would use any distortion pedal...... straight into the front end of the amp. Sometimes into the clean channel and sometimes into the distortion channel. Each has its own uqique end result.

I also treat my tube preamp pedals like... little preamps. (duh).. which means i sometimes use my distortion pedals into them just like i would an amp.

Rat Distortion Pedal-->Tube Preamp pedal-->Amp (clean or distortion channel)

As always... watch out for the mud that occurs when you pile distortion on distortion.

Archived