Valvetronix AD120VT Tube Replacement

RichS

• Members

Has anyone replaced tubes in the Valvetronix?

How do you get the tubes out? Do you just pull on them or do you have to unscrew any of the screws near the tubes?

Does anyone have a recommendation on good replacement tubes? I 've read good things about the Electro Harmonix 12AX7.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I doubt you'd have to change the tube for a long time and can't imagine it does much. Its just one tube!

Yeah sorry, not much help.....lol.

It is a bitch to get it out. The best way is to use duct tape, and stick it around the top of the 12AX7 and then pull it out with the tape. You will have to remove as much of the head/chassis as possible, and then you will see a small circular hole in the wood in which you can just (barely) get to the tube and perform the duct tape method.

However, as Batotman mentioned, you shouldn't have to replace the tube for a LONG, LONG time...maybe never. I wouldn't recommend doing it just to try out a different 12AX7, as it is not being used in the pre-amp section, but rather in the poweramp section. Changing the tube in the hopes of changing the tone of the amp will yield disappointing results, I am afraid.

And yes, I have an AD120VTH head

• Members

Thanks for the tips & advice guys. I have had this amp for 3 or 4 years & I have loved the tone. Recently it has developed a hiss & some of the high-end seems to be missing from the tone. I've noticed that if I wiggle & mess with the tubes it seems to get rid of the hiss & bring my killer tone back temporarily. I just assumed that this may be a sign that one or both tubes is going bad. So I thought I'd try replacing them.

I'm still interested in recommendations on replacement tubes.

Thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by RichS

Thanks for the tips & advice guys. I have had this amp for 3 or 4 years & I have loved the tone. Recently it has developed a hiss & some of the high-end seems to be missing from the tone. I've noticed that if I wiggle & mess with the tubes it seems to get rid of the hiss & bring my killer tone back temporarily. I just assumed that this may be a sign that one or both tubes is going bad. So I thought I'd try replacing them.

I'm still interested in recommendations on replacement tubes.

Thanks again.

Rich...you may indeed be on to something. Could be that the tubes are going, especially if you play a lot.

Check on this site for further info on replacing the 2 tubes. You have to be very careful when you put the new tube in that you match up the pins correctly, or you could bend a pin and ruin the tube:

http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=274&highlight=replace+tube

Archived