Help with XXX!

Strat man 69

• Members

Ok my buddy has a XXX and no sound is coming from it. It is hooked up to a 5150 4X12 cabinet. Checked the fuse. OK. Tubes all light up. He does not have a set to swap out. What do you think? Preamp tubes Power tubes? Something worse? Thanks for the help.

• Members

Well, it could be all of the above. I had a preamp tube go bad on me and the amp would make no noise.....it was even a brand new tube. Try swapping the preamp tubes around and see if anything changes. Make sure the cab is hooked up correctly. My rhythm guitarist had his rig freak him out in the same way, only to find that the cable wasn't pushed all the way into the speaker jack.

Another thing to try: if the amp is a few years old, the FX loop jacks could be dirty. Plug an instrument cable into the FX loop as if it were a jumper wire. If sound comes out with the cable in there, but nothing with it out, spray some electrical cleaner in there and work a cable in and out of the jack.

Also, make sure the FX loop is off at first, and keep the knobs at about 12 o'clock noon.

Hope some of these help and aren't too confusing.

• Members

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X

Well, it could be all of the above. I had a preamp tube go bad on me and the amp would make no noise.....it was even a brand new tube. Try swapping the preamp tubes around and see if anything changes. Make sure the cab is hooked up correctly. My rhythm guitarist had his rig freak him out in the same way, only to find that the cable wasn't pushed all the way into the speaker jack.

Another thing to try: if the amp is a few years old, the FX loop jacks could be dirty. Plug an instrument cable into the FX loop as if it were a jumper wire. If sound comes out with the cable in there, but nothing with it out, spray some electrical cleaner in there and work a cable in and out of the jack.

Also, make sure the FX loop is off at first, and keep the knobs at about 12 o'clock noon.

Hope some of these help and aren't too confusing.

OK I tried all of those things and still nothing. I decided to go to my buddies house and help. I took the chassis out to have a look. I found a blown fuse in there. It is a 2 amp 250 volt fuse. He is going to replace it tomorrow. I wonder what made it blow? Thanks for all the help!

Archived