Korg X-50 experts - need help on assigning to knobs

fliprose

• Members

Who's an expert out there on the X-50? Here's my question. I have finally learned how to put together combinations when I want to combine two sounds, and also splitting the keyboard. When I do two sounds - like organ plus piano - is there a way to assign the individual program volume to one of the assignable knobs? I'd like to twist a knob during a live song to get more of one program or less of another.

I'd think this was doable, but can't figure it out. Thanks for your help!

Phil

• Members

It's a bit tricky to do because there's no modulation source which modulates program volume on a per-channel basis. You can do it, but it's jumping through hoops a bit.

My suggestion is: assign one knob (on the page 7-5:Ed-Arp/Ctrls Controls:Knob1-B Assign) to send Volume (CC #7). Then, go back to page 4-1: Ed-MIDI Filter2-1: Knob1, and UNTICK the combi slots you do NOT want to be influenced by that knob. This means that only the combi slots that ARE ticked are gonna receive the volume control information.

You can set all 4 knobs to send CC#7, and filter them out individually on MIDI Filter pages (there are tick boxes for all 4 knobs, so you can make any combination you want, the problem is that you can't control all 8 combi slots separately because you only have 4 knobs).

I hope this helped a bit! :thu:

• Members

Evildragon, that's beautiful! I tried to PM you directly to thank you and hopefully establish some direct communication. Don't want to overuse your help but you sound like you know what you're doing, while I'm just beginning to understand the programming (after owning and using the thing since 2006!)

Thanks!

Phil

• Members

Well I had X50 for a month and I worked on it a lot, though I had to return it. Back to my X5D for now. I actually miss X50 a little, it has much better sampleset and effects are more detailed. There are some niggles that irritate me (bad keys and knobs which aren't endless, they jump to the setting and that's bad for live, 1 IFX only), but overall it's a light board for those moments when you need something quick.

I really liked the editor/librarian for it, though, makes programming the beast easier.

Actually you can read my review of the board here.

Glad I helped, and if you need to ask anything, just fire away in this thread and I'll try to help. But also remember, get familiar with Parameter Guide manual, every single function of your synth is explained there!

:wave:

Archived