Whatever happened to the Arturia Origin? DOA?

• Members

They recently updated to OS 1.1 and things improved regarding user interface. All parameters can be assigned to the 8 encoders surrounding the display and in addition you now can assign Midi CC to functions as well.

They add an organ oscillator and some effects and did some visual improvements as well. However, with complex machines like Origin or Nord Modular you will be faced with some compromises. Arturia has a MiniMoog template and will develop an Arp2600, CS-80, and Jupiter-8 templates very soon. Not that you cannot build them yourself already with the modules available. These templates are used as a base for people they do not want to put their modules together and in addition these templates are tweaked for authentic sound design with same limitation as the original I guess.

Overall I am very pleased with the sound. It is almost free of aliasing what cannot be said of most VA synths (e.g. Virus). It is flexible and most importantly, the OS is stable (and complete if you ask me).

I guess the price tag is what people scare the most since you can get their software package for a fraction of the price of an Origin. But for the people that want to tweak software in twenty years, this box is just great. No computer OS to worry about, no mouse, just a simple hardware box with a great display and knobs. The price is comparable with what I would have paid for a Virus TI2, and I think I got a better package with the Origin, much more flexible too.

• Members

When I had it back in June, the 8 white encoders were NOT assignable, but that was certainly the previous OS. I really felt that was a deal so I returned it. Soundwise, it was pretty good, although some modulations inevitably sounded a bit artificial. The good thing was yes the OS was pretty stable, not crazy loud sneeze pops a la Virus TI2

• Members

I thought it sounded rather poor when I demoed it at NAMM. Just really awful. :(

I really wanted to love it because specification-wise it's great.

Based on the fact that many people are saying it sounds good, I'm wondering if that one was broken or something. :idk:

• Members

I thought it sounded rather poor when I demoed it at NAMM. Just really awful.
:(

Based on the fact that many people are saying it sounds good, I'm wondering if that one was broken or something.
:idk:

Sound is subjective and to be very honest, I was underwhelmed as well when the unit arrived. It took me a while to appreciate the features and the sound is just stunning. It can sound full and detailed, whatever you want. I don't own a Moog, so I cannot say anything to the MiniMoog emulation. But when this emulation is close to the real thing I know why I never really got into Moogs. You get instantly the single oscillator-chorus Juno sounds out of the box. Having said that, most of my patches make use of at least one of the great effects.

The sound is much better than that of the ION to my ears. I wish their manual would have been a little more detailed, a lot of parameters need to be played with to know what they do exactly. But soundwise I think it tops everything in my VA department. :love:

However, this is coming from somebody who even finds the SH-201 to be capable of beautiful sounds, so you might want to take my opinion with a grain of salt.

• Members

I thought it sounded rather poor when I demoed it at NAMM. Just really awful.
:(

Based on the fact that many people are saying it sounds good, I'm wondering if that one was broken or something.
:idk:

Despite the fact that NAMM is not an ideal place to judge such things, I have to agree with this statement. Something completely lifeless and phony sounding about this instrument. I thought that from my first sighting of it at NAMM 2008 and again at the 2010 show. This is coming from someone who wanted to buy the keyboard version based solely on it's industrial design.

Archived