Sound dampening a room

• Members

For DIY absorbers, I heard good things about
Billy
and
Thermo Hemp

thread
is in german, sorry...

Hmm... that hemp insulation looks good. I've been looking into making panels, but I can't stand the thought of using fiberglass, or whatever nasty stuff the Owens-Corning is.

A quick and easy solution that I used are these cotton "sheets" from Audimute.

http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com/audimute-sound-absorption-sheets-materials-that-absorb-sound-soundproofing-blankets.aspx

I really like them. I imagine one could get more professional results with DIY panels, but for now these are good enough for me. And they give my studio that comfortable padded-cell feel. :D Actually they are much more pleasant to be around than I thought they would be. I've got them over the windows (lots of glass in my studio), and they are easy to take down or pull aside when I want sunlight. Experimenting, I folded up a couple of them and stuck them in high corners, and they made a big difference-- someday maybe I'll make real bass traps, but for now this does the trick for me.

I have a bunch of old blankets, and I consider trying to make something out of them, folded and wadded up in the corner or something.

• Members

Hmm... that hemp insulation looks good. I've been looking into making panels, but I can't stand the thought of using fiberglass, or whatever nasty stuff the Owens-Corning is.

exact reason why i started with hemp panels.

however, the new rockwool panels i'm adding, that are of much bigger density, will be completely insulated with water/air resistant paper on all sides, so no way for particles to come in contact with breathing air in the room. making such a membrane would be a problem for a wideband HF/MF panel, as sound reflects from it in that freq region, but long LF waves don't even "see" the membrane and go right thru it.

idea is to use rockwool as bass traps, to complement hemp in the sub 150Hz range.

that being said, i did notice that rockwool, in respect to releasing particles when handling it, must be 10 times less problematic than the dreaded glass wool, which is just outright terrible to touch, or to breathe next to.

Archived