F spaced or not for neck pickup?

poseoff

• Members

Hi,

I have a Japanese RG Ibanez 570 with floyd rose bridge, I'm about to install a new X2N bridge pickup and a Dimarzio Breed as the neck pickup.

I know I would need an F-spaced pickup on the bridge since it's got a floating tremolo bridge. But do I need to get an F-spaced pickup for the neck pickup?

Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by mysticaxe

no need. by the time the strings get to the neck pickup, they are spaced the same regardless of trem.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Do you also have an Ibanez Rg guitar with non F spaced pickup installed on the neck?

I had this non F spaced Seymour Duncan pickup setup on the neck, and it seems that the sound/tone seems to fade away when I hit the high E string, especially when I bend the note.

So I suppose the coils are not properly aligned with the strings, so that's why I think I'd go with F-spaced neck Dimarzio Breed pickup.

Would anyone else recommend the same thing (i.e. non F spaced pick up will do)?

Cheers

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

Not for the neck, no

Hi, do you mean no need for F spacing for the neck pickup?

I have F spaced in both the neck and bridge on my 1570.

How do you find it? I mean is there any difference using F spaced and non F spaced neck pickup if you ever used one in the past?

here's a thought. measure the E-E spacing of the strings where the neck pickup would be

1.9" (48mm) is non-F-spaced

2.0" (51mm) is F-spaced

go from there......

Will do so later after lunch.

I'll get it measured and post it back later here.

Thanks for your replies guys.

• Members

Originally posted by poseoff

Will do so later after lunch.

I'll get it measured and post it back later here.

Thanks for your replies guys.

oh, keep in mind that when you do bends, the E-E spacing ends up getting SMALLER (since you normally bend towards the centerline of the neck / fretboard), so you're better off having the outer pickup polepieces a bit narrower than the string spacing so that as you bend, you don't go zipping out of the magnetic field and lose output.

• Members

DiMarzio themselves tell you to use F-Spaced pickups in the neck on 1 11/16'' nuts aka the same nut you have on your Ibanez. While it is more of a cosmetic difference, the reason is so the poles will be under the strings.

• Members

here's a thought. measure the E-E spacing of the strings where the neck pickup would be

1.9" (48mm) is non-F-spaced

2.0" (51mm) is F-spaced

go from there......

Ok, obviously it's measured 51mm.

Code-001, I just realised/noticed you have F spaced pickups on both neck and bridge position. Are those strings nicely parallel with the pole pieces on the neck position?

Thanks guys.

• Members

Ok, obviously it's measured 51mm.

Code-001, I just realised/noticed you have F spaced pickups on both neck and bridge position. Are those strings nicely parallel with the pole pieces on the neck position?

Thanks guys.

Yes. If you really want, I can take a picture tomorrow.

• Members

I had this non F spaced Seymour Duncan pickup setup on the neck, and it seems that the sound/tone seems to fade away when I hit the high E string, especially when I bend the note.

Cheers

All "standard" Duncan pups have 2.0" spacing

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

Yes. If you really want, I can take a picture tomorrow.

I'd love to have a close look at your setup bro.

I'd really appreciate if you could take a picture and bring it on here. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Code-001

Proof that F-Spaced Pickups should go in the neck of a 1 11/16'' nut guitar:

DSC02657.jpg

Youuuu arrrrreee...the best!

Thanks very much for posting that picture Code-001.

From the picture, it clearly shows the neck pickup must be F spaced on the neck position.

And at the same time as I'm reading this post, I've also just got my email reply from Dimarzio Tech department, here's what the tech guy Steve Blucher says/confirmed...

"The neck position pickup on an Ibanez RG should be F-spaced."

Ok, case closed! I'm off to ebay to get my new Dimarzio Breed!

Last, hopefully, this thread will be useful for those having the same situation as me.

Archived