Matamp 1224 or KingStreet? Help!

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

Quick (yeah right) question

Matamp 1224 custom

2x6v6 + 2xEL34 (or any other octal socket valve)

Tube driven (6v6) reverb

series/parallel fx loop

6 position voicing knob (FS)

dual master volumes, dual gains (Footswithcable)

T,M,B + Presence

4xecc83 preamp.

Can choose ANY valve combination to operate (1xel34, 1x6v6, 2xEL34, 2x6V6 or all of them) in ClassA or AB where applicable.

Matamp King Street

2xEL34 (or any other octal..)

3xECC83 preamp

1 Master volume, Gain, FS overdrive (without its own master), T,B,M+Presence.

FXloop serial/parallel

NO Reverb.

Can choose 1xel34 or 2xel34 operation

Price diffference between them around 500$.

What do you reckon? Based on theory and specs... what would make more sense for a long term purchase? I mostly play at home at the moment (got HOtplate), with the potential of band practice and gigs.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by math2014

Hey man, saw your thread there...

it seems the 1224 can cover whatever the KS does. On the plus side... it is more versatile volumewise and it has reverb. So i am going for the 1224

Yeah, I am thinking along similar lines - people rave about the 1224, whereas you rarely hear anything about the KS or the XV. Why that is, I don't understand - they look like great amps. From where I am sitting, it seems like the Minimat and the 1224 are their best selling amps (but I could be wrong).

You should note that the 1224 MkV is without reverb. The 1224 MkII has reverb, but it is no longer listed on the web site. I hope it's still in production.

• Members

The website is just there to give you an idea of possible models.

For example. i ll have a 1224 similar to mk2, with reverb and with dual master volumes like the Mk5, alongside some EXTRA valve switching options that are unique and dont appear in the current lineup. So you just dream what you want and they will make it.

1224 and minimat are their best selling amps indeed, and the 1224 is the only one that got a gold award from guitarist.

If you need tone/volume versatility , the 1224 and the Maven Peal RG88 are the amps to have. Since MP is not available/too expensive in Europe, the 1224 is the obvious choice and its built like a tank.

the trannies used are rated at 200W+

• Members

Math2014, what is the advantage of having a dual master volume? My guess is, that it is the ability to increase/decrease volume via the footswitch, but I am not sure.

Also, do you know more about the difference between the MkII and the MkV? On a general level, I believe the V is geared towards high gain, whereas the II is perhaps more of an all rounder.

What speakers/cab are you planning on getting for your 1224 MkII?

• Members

well dual master volumes means that when you engage overdrive you are able to control both the "dirt" and "volume" of the overdrive therefore by footswitching you do not necesserily have a volume increase.

MkV and MkII really make no difference as far as gain/tone goes since you can voice them to your liking.

I think i ll go for 2x12" with Greenbacks or G12-65 or Hot100

Archived