SOFTWARE ADVICE / LOGIC, CUBASE, PROTOOLS? ETC

Keykrazy

• Members

I use DP. I don't know about the current version but the plugins that came with version 5 (which I use) and before are not that great. The instruments are terrible, the dynamic processors are terrible, the EQ's are fine (I honestly can't tell the difference between most EQ's, hardware or software), the reverbs are terrible and the chorus/flanger effects are fine but more simple and limited than free ones you can get.

So I can't say the bundled stuff is any good, but I love working in it. Working with MIDI is super, as it should be considering the long history of the software). However, the original post mentioned drum loops, and I don't think it's very good for that.

Version 5 is nearly 4 years old. Version 6.03 is vastly better than 5 and version 7.1 is vastly better than 6.

It has come a long way since 5. Sure, not every plug-in is a winner, but they made significant changes in the reverb- the Proverb is EXCELLENT and have added excellent stomp boxes and other plug-ins as well.

They also added a new drum type editor for step programming and looping.

Its a whole new section.

They have added a lot of pro features as well- check out motu.com

What I really dig is how seamless new VI's run in DP as instruments.

The Spectrasonics and URS stuff just popped right up after install- no problems.

• Members

+ several for Ableton LIVE

I think, once you get your head around it; it's super flexible and versatile to write & perform with. Layer upon layer to the onion

I can only speak to Reason as a poor alternative - only can be used as a midi device - no audio input without the very well-regarded "Record" software in addition.

Several above advise to download free demo's of the software you'd like to try. I think you really need to spend some time with a couple of them to find the fit. They all sound spectacular. Some will fit your needs better than others

• Members

Version 5 is nearly 4 years old. Version 6.03 is vastly better than 5 and version 7.1 is vastly better than 6.

It has come a long way since 5. Sure, not every plug-in is a winner, but they made significant changes in the reverb- the Proverb is EXCELLENT and have added excellent stomp boxes and other plug-ins as well.

They also added a new drum type editor for step programming and looping.

Its a whole new section.

They have added a lot of pro features as well- check out motu.com

What I really dig is how seamless new VI's run in DP as instruments.

The Spectrasonics and URS stuff just popped right up after install- no problems.

Hmmm......I thought I had looked at the new features when 6 came out and it sounded like nothing. Or at least not nearly good enough to pay for the upgrade. I don't think I even heard when 7 came out. I used to lurk at MOTUNation.com a bit, but most people there are such extreme early adopters of each new version that I just get left in the dust and have nothing to offer the discussions. Before I bought version 5 I was on version 2. I actually don't require much from a DAW other than superb MIDI functionality and typical audio recording and mixing. I've got UAD for effects plugins and Native Instruments plus a few others for instrument plugins.

• Members

+ several for Ableton LIVE

I don't think Live is for everybody. It's definitely good at what it does (athough I haven't even tried the whole "warping" thing), but it's a unique beast.

I got Live a while ago so that I could eventually work my music into a live setting. Currently I tend to use it to start out songs, making some loops (since that works well with my kind of music), and then move it into DP. I have hardly used the "Arrangement" view at all, but there are a few things about the "Session" view that bug me so much I don't think I could ever consider Live as a main DAW.

Archived