Changing battery on old Yamaha synth

ccasey

• Members

Hi, all. Thinking about changing the battery on my Yamaha S-80 myself. Low batter indicator hasn't come on, but I've had the thing for years, and it's got to be coming due. I'm not worried about saving user presets at present, as I've just decided to reinvest some energy in using the thing and don't have any I'm particularly attached to. I do not want to lose factory sounds, though, and have no easy way to backup (it has a smart card, but the software to use it is windows and I'm on Mac now). My question is, are factory presets going to vanish if I remove the existing battery, or does the battery backup only exist to save user presets? Anyone?

Thanks,

Chris

• Members

If it's like other Yamaha S-series and Motif series synths, the preset banks are fixed in ROM and are unchangeable, and won't be lost when the battery is changed. The user voice and performance banks, sequencer songs/patterns and global/utility settings will be lost, however.

You shouldn't need Windows software to back it up; you just save the user banks to the card, and then remove the card. After changing the battery, reinsert the card and reload the user banks from the card. No computer required. :)

I know newer models use flash storage so there's no battery at all. I don't know if this is the case on the S80 or not. But if you open it up and can't find a battery, it could be using flash storage.

• Members

Thanks a ton. It does have a battery, per the manual. I've read instructions online on where to locate and how to change and it seems reasonably easy. No voiding warranty to worry about, either; I've had it for probably 8 years or so (a guess).

Appreciate the quick reply.

Chris

• Members

If it's like other Yamaha S-series and Motif series synths, the preset banks are fixed in ROM and are unchangeable, and won't be lost when the battery is changed. The user voice and performance banks, sequencer songs/patterns and global/utility settings will be lost, however.

Do you happen to know if the Motif series uses flash? If not, is the battery fixed?

Archived