Akai AX-60 arpeggiator HELP!

Chando

• Members

For the life of me I can't figure this out.

What exact cable do I need to get this to work.

I'm using a sample of an 808 trig on my MPC1000 which works fine when using Roland synths.

the Akai needs to receive a "negative" signal. I've tried and insert cable with no luck.

I give up.

No I need a different sample as well?

I wouldn't think so.

But I hope I'm wrong at this point.

• Members

Yes, you need an S-trig for the AX-60 arp. Maybe find a sample of one on the net somewhere? Ask someone to record a trigger and send you the wave file? I recorded the trigger pulse of my 707 and used it in my Machinedrum. Of course, you could just use the MIDI on the Akai =o]

• Members

I'll record you a .wav file of the pulse tone needed to trigger the AX-60 arp. I use the Roland TR-626 to trigger my AX-60 arp. It works perfect. I don't know why I've never bothered just sampling the pulse. I guess I like the old school ritual of that interface with the TR-626. I won't be able to get to it until tomorrow night (saturday). I don't have a host for sounds on the web. If anyone does that wants to host this, I'll send it to you as well.

I recommend picking up a cheap TR-626 just for fun anyway. It's really fun to pair those two machines together. The TR-626 pulse trigger out patterns are programmed using the rim shot pad. After programming your patterns, you just turn the volume of the rim shot off.

• Members

http://manuals.fdiskc.com/tree/Akai/Akai%20AX60%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Section 3B and 3C

Turn it on the Ax60 and use a midi cord from the MPC-1000 and do some programing.

The arpeggiator works when you hold down the keys and stops when you let go..

Section 7

Discusses the Arpeggiator in jack and if it don't work, which don't say alot except it's negative going sync

Try loading a short square wave and setting it every bar like a metronome, with the first bar accented.

• Members

I'm glad to report that sampling the +5v pulse tone and playing it back via sampler into the AX-60's external arp sync input worked flawlessly! It actually worked better in my case because hooking the TR-626 up to the AX-60's arp trigger input resulted in a strange hum (though low level) coming out of the audio outs of the synth. Just out of curiosity, I triggered the AX-60 arp using a kick drum sample. It also works! Using the kick drum, the note played longer on the AX of course, because it's a longer sample than that short pulse sample. So you don't need the +5v sample I recorded, but if anyone wants it anyway, I will be happy to send it.

The AX-60 arp trigger in responds to high level audio input better than low level. So if it doesn't respond, turn the triggering sample up.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I'm glad to report that sampling the +5v pulse tone and playing it back via sampler into the AX-60's external arp sync input worked flawlessly! It actually worked better in my case because hooking the TR-626 up to the AX-60's arp trigger input resulted in a strange hum (though low level) coming out of the audio outs of the synth. Just out of curiosity, I triggered the AX-60 arp using a kick drum sample. It also works! Using the kick drum, the note played longer on the AX of course, because it's a longer sample than that short pulse sample. So you don't need the +5v sample I recorded, but if anyone wants it anyway, I will be happy to send it.

The AX-60 arp trigger in responds to high level audio input better than low level. So if it doesn't respond, turn the triggering sample up.

Love to pick up the sample if someone still has it! Can't get my arpeggio synced with drum machine or MPC.

• Members

It's just that same old pulse. I still had to convert it to S-trig to get it working.

I have a feeling Nightsynth's AX-60 was modded. Damn that reminds me, a friend of a friend of mine was really good at doing this... with no extra parts needed. Wish I had his number still... Anyone else know how to convert an S-trig in jack to V-trig?? Without adding any parts?

Archived