Linking Two Roland JD990s together....

ckett

• Members

Hello,

I have a question about linking two Roland JD990s together.

I know that you can set it up where the notes will alternate giving you double the polyphony with the two units hooked up via midi.

My question is if you are programming a new sound on say unit #1, will unit #2 also be updating through the midi signal or do you have to program your sounds, copy them to a memory card and transfer them to the other unit?

Thanks!

• Members

My question is if you are programming a new sound on say unit #1, will unit #2 also be updating through the midi signal or do you have to program your sounds, copy them to a memory card and transfer them to the other unit?

Not sure.

It seems the JD-990 cannot transmit the edits from the front-panel as SysEx chains the way the JV/XP do : I don't see any "Tx MIDI" menu in the System Setup.

My guess is that you'll have to maintain the patches symetry in both units by hand, or - more handy - with a software editor.

:idk:

• Members

Yes it does. See page "Sys-8" of the owner manual

Its called "Stack mode" and its on your System Set-up page, Soft key #3 "MIDI". cursor over to stack mode and MIDI your 2nd 990 from the MIDI thru port of the 1st. You cant use solo patches in this mode.

You will have to transmit sysex to the slave unit after you save changes to the patch.

• Members

Thank you for quoting the manual, but I think we were pretty much aware of the stack mode functionality.
;)

The OP's question was : are the edits made on the master JD transmitted to the other stacked units ?

My guess is no.

:confused:

Answered in post- they have to be saved then transmitted in sysex, parameters dont change in real time

Archived