Behringer gm110?

Excelsior

• Members

So, I looked back on my "cheap amplifier" thread, and the last post was about the behringer gm110, 30w practice amp.

Usually $99, now only $69.99 at MF... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Vintager-GM110-Combo-Amp?sku=480685

I needed some opinions/advice. Currently I'm on a SHITTY dual 10 watt speaker Crate G20C. I bought it for $45 to practice with, but it is absolutely the most dreadful amplifier in the WORLD.

Anyone have any opinions on the behringer? I already have a V Amp 2 so if the issue is onboard features, well, it's not an issue :p

• Members

I had one. I used the power transformer and cab for another amp. :D I should make clips. Sounds very champish.

But honestly, that amp has an annoying midhump, even when just using the power amp section of it.

• Members

How can any amp for under $100 be a bad deal? And if it is just a bedroom practice amp, who cares if it doesn't sound like a JCM800?

Gimmee a break guys!

Tell you what -- I'll sell you my Roland Cube 60 for $200. A great amp for practice and even live shows, unless all you do is turn the gain on 10 and beat on the guitar.

• Members

I have a behringer but its the GMX 2X12 and its a damn good lil amp for home use..

Its simular to a Tech 21 in that there are analog modes, 3 for amp types, 3 for modes and 3 for speakers you can "mix + match" em anyway you want to get a good sound! -- Tone wise the distortions are pretty good, you can try to get a marshall sound or a boogie if you tweak it, also the cleans are kinda on the weak side its not really clean but more like a tweed/vox clean and also the cleans are not as loud,.. JUST REMEMBER ITS A LIL AMP THAT WONT SOUND EXACTLY LIKE THE REAL THING! :rolleyes:

Its 2 channels with a footswitch and effects, the effects are ok and you they are also tweakable it can also get a lil loud if needed.. Not a bad amp for the price the distortions are better than cleans just keep that in mind..

Also remember mine is a 2X12 and has Jensen speakers in it which helps a lil bit imo, not a great amp but not bad for the $$..

• Members

Originally posted by charlie13033

How can any amp for under $100 be a bad deal? And if it is just a bedroom practice amp, who cares if it doesn't sound like a JCM800?

Gimmee a break guys!

Tell you what -- I'll sell you my Roland Cube 60 for $200. A great amp for practice and even live shows, unless all you do is turn the gain on 10 and beat on the guitar.

No, this crate I have right now is driving me NUTS. Reverb is PERMANENTLY on. Yes, Permanently. Foot pedal does nothing, so all IC and o is turn the gay ass reverb to 1 and hope it's not too pronounced. Distortion is AWFUL, GOD awful. That's why I bought the V amp in the first place. It craps out at lower volumes, and sounds pretty ugly at times, as well as has weird quirks.

As I said, I have $100. Unless $200 == 100 to you, I can't buy your cube 60 ;).

Still open to suggetsions...

• Members

I just bought that Behringer amp, it's pretty damned good for a practice/bedroom amp. You're not going to do any better for under $100 new, let alone find a 30 watt amp. Only problem is that it doesn't have onboard reverb or channel switching, otherwise it gets some nice Fender/Marshall tones and has a boatload of useful features like an effects loop. I didn't like the Mesa emulation, but I don't like Mesa in general so go figure. That and the "flat" speaker setting really sucks terribly.....it's best to leave it on British or American. Just get the thing and be happy, it's a shameless ripoff of the Tech 21 Trademark 10 minus reverb but with a better 30 watt power section. It's great for what it is, which is a little SS modeler. You could also check www.musicgoround.com for used deals on Peavy Bandits, they should have some of the older 65 watt models for $80-$100 before shipping.

• Members

Originally posted by Excelsior

No, this crate I have right now is driving me NUTS. Reverb is PERMANENTLY on. Yes, Permanently. Foot pedal does nothing, so all IC and o is turn the gay ass reverb to 1 and hope it's not too pronounced. Distortion is AWFUL, GOD awful. That's why I bought the V amp in the first place. It craps out at lower volumes, and sounds pretty ugly at times, as well as has weird quirks.

As I said, I have $100. Unless $200 == 100 to you, I can't buy your cube 60
;)

Still open to suggetsions...

Just buy the damn behringer, you'll be happy with it.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by ejk

I just bought that Behringer amp, it's pretty damned good for a practice/bedroom amp. You're not going to do any better for under $100 new, let alone find a 30 watt amp. Only problem is that it doesn't have onboard reverb or channel switching, otherwise it gets some nice Fender/Marshall tones and has a boatload of useful features like an effects loop. I didn't like the Mesa emulation, but I don't like Mesa in general so go figure. That and the "flat" speaker setting really sucks terribly.....it's best to leave it on British or American. Just get the thing and be happy, it's a shameless ripoff of the Tech 21 Trademark 10 minus reverb but with a better 30 watt power section. It's great for what it is, which is a little SS modeler. You could also check
www.musicgoround.com
for used deals on Peavy Bandits, they should have some of the older 65 watt models for $80-$100 before shipping.

Well now I'm torn. What should I do -- get a Peavy Bandit 65 locally for about $80-100, or go for the Behringer?

• Members

Originally posted by ***1776***

Also remember mine is a 2X12 and has Jensen speakers in it which helps a lil bit imo, not a great amp but not bad for the $$..

stick a BBE in the loop and it gets even better :)

My first dedicated guitar amp was that gmx212 and I tried my BBE sonic max in the loop and holy cow what a difference it made on everything :thu:

so if you have a BBE, give it a shot with your gmx

• Members

I bought the $70 Gm110. Clean tones suck, not enough headroom. Low gain tones have a splatty decay. High gain tones is where it's at. Leave it in HIGH GAIN or HOT setting. The TWEED in HIGH GAIN gets some great blues tones. Using the BRITISH or CALI gets the hard rock stuff. Not a metal amp.

Look at the Roland Cube15. Has a great clean channel and a distortion channel with 4 modes. Pretty darn good sounding.

• Members

I have the GM110. Unfortunately I got it when it was still $100, but it was a great deal then, and an unbelievable deal now at $100.

I'm tired of people saying this amp can't get a good metal tone. I leave bass at 10, mid at 8, and treble at 9, Mesa (Calif) amp mode, Hot gain mode, UK speaker mode, gain at 6+. Maybe it's not YOUR metal tone, but I certainly like it. The distortion, in general, is amazing on this amp. It's absolutely worth $100, and at $70 it's unbeatable. Sure, no effects, but most amps at that price point don't have effects anyway.

Telemike is right, however; the cleans are nothing spectacular- that is, if you have HBs. With p90s, it can get some GREAT clean tones. Even with HBs it can get a good blues tone.

But in general really do recommend this amp. Not really loud enough for gigging, but its great for practice or even recording (the direct-out is really useful).

• Members

I have one. For $99 get it. For $70 GET IT. For $80 to $100 for a used Peavey Bandit GET THE BANDIT.

That is all.

Eventually get a decent 1x12 speaker cab and the Behringer sounds even better. You'll need that decent 1x12 for another rig somedays anyway.

Archived