I just saw Modern Life Is War, Bane, This Is Hell, Cattle Decapitation, Job For A...

AtillaTheHungry

• Members

Cowboy, and even more bands. HOLY SHIZNIT what a show! THREE TOURS were playing at the same venue here, with a total of TWELVE bands, and it was only $18! :eek:

There was also Outbreak, who I missed, since they played at like 6:30, Animosity, Misery Index, and Soilent Green, The Acacia Strain, and From A Second Story Window, who I didn't stay for.

This was quite a surprise. Originally, I was going just to see Modern Life Is War. Later on, my friend told me they are with Bane, and some other hardcore bands. That was definitely more exciting. Then, last night, I randomly saw Job For A Cowboy's MySpace site, which said they were now touring with Bane. I thought that would be neat. Today, my friends called me asking for directions to the venue, and when I mentioned that Job For A Cowboy might be playing, I was told that CATTLE DECAPITATION and a ton of other bands are playing too. My head nearly imploded.

So it was like a ton of hardcore and metal bands. The hardcore bands all played on one stage, and the metal bands on another. It was quite an experience to constantly go from seeing one good hardcore band to a death metal band.

When I got there, I didn't see my friends, and I heard some band playing, so I went inside, to be greeted by some guy with blood gushing out of his nose and dripping on the floor trying to get out. Neat, I thought. Job For A Cowboy was playing. Soon after, another bleeding person exited. I was pretty much squished in by the door, but I managed to walk along the wall and stand right in front of the band. At least one of the guitarists was playing a Krank, which was near enough to me to hear clearly. This is the first time I have really gotten to hear one up close. I have to say, it sounded awful. When he played parts by himself, it was like a muffled, garbled mess. It wasn't all scooped or anything, it just was not clear and defined AT ALL. When they played harmony parts, the guitars still sounded pretty big, though. The rest of it was kind of a mess. Their singer was very entertaining to watch. They put on a good show.

I saw This Is Hell next. I found my friends all standing at the front of the stage, so I went up there before they started. I'd never even heard this band before, but I stayed there when they were playing, anyways, and it was BADASS. They perfectly mixed really intense parts, melody, and straight up hardcore, and without having ever heard them before, just from the sound at this crappy venue, I could tell that they were awesome. They were flying all over the place, and so were the people there, even though there weren't too many. They were very exciting to watch. Apparently, they were just signed to Trustkill. Go Trustkill for finally signing a real band instead of a scenester band after like 3 years of total gayness.

I stayed at the front for Modern Life Is War, and that was just {censored}ing awesome. People were piling up to sing when their singer would hold the mic out, and when their songs got energetic, there was a ton of stage diving. You could tell that people actually liked the band. This was way different than metalcore infested shows with non-stop hardcore dancing retards with no regard for others or the music. People would go nuts and do circle pits and ridiculous stuff like that at the right times, but it was all in a good nature. People were just excited, and not throwing themselves around at everybody. At one point, they said they were playing a new song, and EVERYONE STOPPED MOVING AND WATCHED. I was astounded.

For Bane, I stood in the back, but man, that was still intense. There were a lot of people. Their singer walked out and said, "HOLY {censored} THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE!" There were constantly people getting on stage and yelling, and the singer would grab them and share the mic with them. He often yelled the lyrics and gave the mic to the crowd, and kept losing his hat from running into people on stage. TONS of people were shouting along to the gang vocal parts, and the band was going ballistic.

I'd seen Cattle Decapitation before, so I just got my friend to watch them start, since they were standing around for like 30 minutes, and we were tired and my friends wanted to leave. They're so fun to see live. Their singer sounds totally nuts. My friend held open the door for some people, and just then, they finally started and we were greeted by a blast of their singer making those insane shrieking sounds. My friend had quite a look of surprise on his face haha. He said that their singer reminded him of a mad scientist. His hair was all messed up and he was going insane.

Unfortunately, the other metal bands I saw just kind of stood there and sounded like total crap, and were just like, "*METAL* K BYE *METAL*." None of them would even say what band was next or anything like that. Oh well. :freak:

This was one of the best shows I ever saw. All the hardcore bands put on a hell of a show, and were constantly moving and getting the crowd involved. They also sounded good. Lots of middy guitars that you could actually hear. They were using stuff from old Traynors to Rectos, but they all sounded tight and clear. They were also all very thankful for all the people that were there and thanked all the other bands and said to buy their CDs. Bane's singer even said he liked Job For A Cowboy a lot haha. It was really cool. If this tour is coming anywhere near you, I'd highly recommend going.

• Members

I was getting bored and tired. The other bands were too crazy, and my friends wanted to leave. Everyone was just standing around for the metal bands, and they always sound like mud at that venue. I think the sound people get a hard on from turning the sound check into a contest of how fast they can turn all the mid knobs down on the mixer when metal bands play.

• Members
Originally posted by -=MYK=-

None of those other bands used amps?

cattle decap is "local" where i live (san diego)...they're very cool guys...for vegans!:D
josh uses a bogner uberschall and an engl fireball...standard rack stuff (power conditioner, tuner, random effects module...u know.)...can't remember what kind of guitar...looks real nice tho. travis (singer) is aTOTAL freak on stage. he's like some sort of psychotic-vegan-dictator...tripped out. the first time i saw them i thought "wow...so THAT'S what it's like if you stop eating meat!"...they do smoke tho...in more ways than one.:D

• Members

The past year i saw Modern Life is War (touring with Converge); i didnt know about them and the show was incredible, i really liked the band.

I wish Bane could play near:( , but i saw Ignite, With Honor and Endstand this week, so im quite happy :D

Archived