WTF 253 volts

wayneman

• Members

I've been having trouble with equipment failures in my rehearsal space. I checked the voltage coming out the wall socket, 253 volts, bearing in mind this Australia & it's supposed to be 230 volts & all my gear says 230 on the back. Anyone know if the extra voltage is enough to cause problems & if so what is the best remedy?

• Members

Originally posted by wayneman

I've been having trouble with equipment failures in my rehearsal space. I checked the voltage coming out the wall socket, 253 volts, bearing in mind this Australia & it's supposed to be 230 volts & all my gear says 230 on the back. Anyone know if the extra voltage is enough to cause problems & if so what is the best remedy?

Australia is 240 V but is commonly accepted as anywhere from 230-250V. Spikes can get you up around 260 and that tends to do some damage. I believe you can get power regulators and stuff that regulate the voltage to "x"volts.

Perhaps someone can confirm this?

• Members

Originally posted by wayneman

S.A. is actually 230v the ETSA web site confirms this!

I just looked it up and a few places actually say Australia is all 230V now......but most of them say "Officially" its 230V but 240V is found in a LOT of places....but that it's ok because things built for use here are built to withstand up to 250V.

So i apologise for being wrong.

Call your power company and ask why it would be 253V. Maybe there is something that can be done? If not - power conditioner.

Archived