VHT Ultra Lead kicks my ***, but a couple questions...

GrandDreaming

• Members

For those who have had the amp, what attenuator do you prefer? I'm all for the heavy crunch rhythm and ripping leads, but it's not the favorite among apartment neighbors. Which one works best for maintaining my high gain tone, just at a lower volume?

I've also been continually coming across people who say it sounds best through a VHT cab. Do you mean any VHT cab? P50s? V30s?

Would a 2x12 suffice, or would I really be missing out without a 4x12?

And finally, it's true everything I heard about the tight focus of the gain, which sounds unsaturated. I love the tone but occasionally I'd like it to be a little thicker, especially when doing rhythm. Are there any pedals that could help me reach this? Maxon OD808 (of which I hear so much)? Anything else?

Now that i'm near wrapping up my tone quest (for the present), I can finally sit down and learn to play...hopefully.

• Members

No attenuator. This is a loud amp. The KT88s need the volume/power to sound their best. If you're living in an apartment, I'm not sure you made the right amp decision. I think the UL has pretty good MV controls as well as the global MV. I'd try adjusting them to you're liking first, and use an attenuator as a last resort. I didn't like the sound of mine attenuated at all.

Never really tried many pedals with mine. I used to run it with a Bogner Uber which I used for rhythm.

A lot of guys like the VHT Frontloaded Fatbottom 4X12 w/ P50E speakers. I like rearloaded cabs w/ V30s better myself w/ the UL.

• Members

^Wizard, this may sound like blasphemy, but this UL is my Herbert replacement. I may go back some day, but I need to test the waters more (maybe need isn't the word...I hate you GAS.)

Right now i'm running solely on a PRS Hollowbody w/piezo (which is funny considering theres a lot of metal on my daily playing itinerary). I'm looking at getting a second guitar to dedicate to that style, and reserve the HB for the softer and fusion stuff, so suggestions there might be useful too. The amp is a few months old and does have the EQ.

• Members

As someone said earlier: definately keep the master above noon. Use channelvolume to lower overall volume and if that isn't enough try switching on the fx-loop with the pot set low.

You can also use the eq with low settings across the board.

Good luck !

Giga.

• Members

Originally posted by GrandDreaming

For those who have had the amp, what attenuator do you prefer? I'm all for the heavy crunch rhythm and ripping leads, but it's not the favorite among apartment neighbors. Which one works best for maintaining my high gain tone, just at a lower volume?

I don't know that an attenuator is going to bring the volume down to make your apartment neighbors happy.

I've also been continually coming across people who say it sounds best through a VHT cab. Do you mean any VHT cab? P50s? V30s?

Any VHT cab with the P50E's will do. My preference of the 4x12's was the Deliverance cab.

Would a 2x12 suffice, or would I really be missing out without a 4x12?

That's fine, it's just going to sound a lot different in the room. I haven't even gotten my deliverance cab yet, and I'm already wanting a D212.

And finally, it's true everything I heard about the tight focus of the gain, which sounds unsaturated. I love the tone but occasionally I'd like it to be a little thicker, especially when doing rhythm. Are there any pedals that could help me reach this? Maxon OD808 (of which I hear so much)? Anything else?

The VHT's are voiced very different than many/most "boutique" amps. I find a lot of amps these days to be big "all around" in the frequency spectrum, with certain emphasis here and there in their voicing that makes them unique. With the VHT's, and particularly, the UL, it seems there's more "open space" and focus on certain frequencies, that allows it to sit very well in a mix. Both voicing styles have their merits, but if you want something fat all around, you may have the wrong amp. The UL is thick, but it's not "dominate the mix" thick.

• Members

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz

No attenuator. This is a loud amp. The KT88s need the volume/power to sound their best.

This probably shows my degree of noobiosity, but I thought that by running the attenuator after the power amp, you would come pretty close to maintaing the same tone, since they still generate the same amount of power.

• Members

This probably shows my degree of noobiosity, but I thought that by running the attenuator after the power amp, you would come pretty close to maintaing the same tone, since they still generate the same amount of power.

Attenuators are used for amps with usually no preamp volume or of lesser preamp gain!

• Members

^Wizard, this may sound like blasphemy, but this UL is my Herbert replacement. I may go back some day, but I need to test the waters more (maybe need isn't the word...I hate you GAS.)

The UL is a killer amp and I'd like to own another at some point. Use whatever works best for you. The only reason I sold mine was that I found some other amps that worked better for me.

Any attenuator no matter what brand/design is going to affect your tone. It just comes down to what level of tone suckage you're willing to live with. You might want to give one a try anyway though.

Archived