Synth Questions: Nord Wave, Blofeld & Virus TI2

Palaver

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking to fill out my setup to compliment my PC3x and my Tetr4. I can only bring these synths in via special order, hence my request for your opinions. I can't readily test them in my area. I've done many searches, and I've concluded that I could really use either a Blofeld, Virus TI2 or Nordwave.

I have messed around with all of them for short periods of time, but they all seem to have their pluses and minuses.

My needs and points:

1) Something compact and portable enough that I can quickly grab for a jam in the pinch. The PC3x is too annoying to do this on a whim.

I am a big fan of the 49 keys on the Nord Wave and the Blofeld. I find the Virus TI2 and Polar either a little too big or too small. The Virus is also lacking stock jam sounds BUT can be used as an interface for my laptop (in a jam pinch). I believe that the Nord would be the best board for a 'quick' pinch, especially with the sample sets available on the Nord page. However, one ENORMOUS draw back I see with the Nord is the lack of MIDI thru USB, and arp. The Blofeld seems to sit somewhere between the two. MIDI thru USB, an arp and sampling option like the Nord (which the Virus TI lacks), but I'm quite worried about it's reliability and bugs (on the Blofeld).

2) I want something that can get really glitchy and static like, and does wonderful percussion along with great pads/leads and basses. I know all these boards excel at leads/pads and basses but which one is the best with getting nasty and cool with percussion?

If the Nord can do this well, I can live with the short coming of the arp and MIDI thru USB. How glitchy and nasty can the Nord get with percussive type sounds? I've heard many demos of the Blofeld and Virus TI2 getting quite nasty.

3) I'm mostly a preset guy. I usually grab something in the 'ballpark' of what I am looking for, and then I adjust from there.

I know the Virus wins in this area hands down. It also dominates the other two synths with regards to effects. Plus I am a HUGE Ableton/Logic user, and I love how well it integrates with those DAW programs.

So in conclusion, what am I missing?

Here is what I love and hate about each:

1) Nord Wave:

PROS - wonderful interface, great controller, sounds great and is really versatile. You can load on anything from Nord's sample library and have it ready to go.

CONS - No arp, and no MIDI thru USB. I realize I can get a MIDI to USB cord, but I see this as a pain in the ass. I hate loading drivers.

I will buy IF This thing can get down right nasty with percussive sounds (along with all the other great sounds it is capable of).

2) Blofeld:

PROS - usable piano/organ sounds if in a pinch for a jam. It can get nasty, and seems like a very nice board. It's price is absolutely excellent, and it's a quirky little guy. It seems like it fits somewhere between the Virus and the Wave. It also has MIDI thru USB, so I can use it as a controller when bringing around the laptop. There are also sounds categorized that I can really build from.

CONS - seems like a lot of bug complaints, and it's lacking knobs. It just didn't feel as well built (as the Nord or Virus) at the time when I tried it, but it's also priced way lower. I also read that the effects are subpar.

I will buy IF live players out there are confident in using the board on stage at it's current state. It's practically a steal.

3) Virus TI2

PROS: Sounds unreal, and it syncs up amazingly with Logic and Ableton. It seems like they finally ironed out the Virus Control issues in 2009. Constant updates, VAST amounts of sounds, great effects, and the ability to use it as an interface/controller with my computer.

CONS: No sampling, very EXPENSIVE, and no 49 key version. Even tho it's knobby, it still didn't feel nearly as hands on or as intuitive as the Nord. I'd still need to bring along a laptop and use the piano/organ sounds (from Logic and Ableton) for a basic jam.

Will buy IF the users in here believe it's that much of a better/more versatile synth for my glitched out synth needs. I am also in love with the ENORMOUS library that this thing has to offer. And like the Blofeld, is this thing trustworthy for live use? I notice Depeche mode seem to be confident with them on stage.

What I need (reiterated):

A versatile keyboard that allows me to write 'synthy' music and rock music. I know they all excel at leads/pads and basses. What's the best one of the three with regards to percussive and 'glitchy-type' sounds?

Most importantly, for a preset 'tweaker' like myself, which board would compliment my 'grab' and go writing style? Which one would work in gorgeous tandem with the 'bread and butter' that the Kurzweil has to offer?

What board would you pick and why? In all honesty, I'm not desperate for anything, and I am getting by fine. However, I am looking for a dedicated synth that I can gig with, that will really help me out and compliment my other boards. I am also a drummer, so I forsee doing double duty at some point. I dread the day that I have to bring a kit and keyboard to a gig!

Cheers,

PB

• Members

I own all of these synths so I'll give you my opinion on each and you can take that for what its worth:

Nord Wave:

Its a performance synth. Part of the lure of this beautiful monster is that it doesn't have everything and the kitchen sink thrown into it. Although an arpeggiator would have been nice, I dont really miss it. The strongest points of the Nord Wave is in its immediacy and its sound. In terms of getting percussive sounds from it... well, its called the Nord "WAVE" for a reason. Its sample playback engine allows you to load your own sounds to the unit itself for playback so you get back what you put into it.

VirusTI

By far the most flexible synth of the bunch. More than capable of handling just about any sound need you may have. In terms of glitched out synth needs, the TI will more than accommodate you, especially with features like its

Blofeld

Even with its low price point, its a great synth and believe me, IT IS WELL BUILT. The Blofeld definitely has a very unique character and my only complaint is that sometimes this can be a blessing and a curse. It sounds like nothing else in my current rig (which is the reason I bought it), however, I find it hard to get it to play nice with my other synths. Getting sounds from it to sit well in a mix without extensive eq'ing can be a pain.

In my honest opinion, your best bet would be to go with the VirusTI. Its a preset tweaker's wet dream come true and with its continuous updates, excellent support team, and incredible flexibility you'd be hard pressed to find another synth that could compete with it.

• Members

Hey Aymat,

I really appreciate the reply. It's nice to hear from an owner that is familiar with all three. I'm quite surprised that I haven't heard more responses with regards to these synths.

I'm definitely the most intrigued by the Virus TI2 (the 61-key version), but I just want to cover all grounds incase I am really missing something with regards to these great instruments.

Cheers,

Phil

• Members

I also have all three although my Virus Ti is a polar version, and my blofeld a desktop version. For what you listed as your needs I would also go for the Virus Ti. With the new OS 4 features you should not have any trouble with your glitchy needs. The keybed I believe is a bit nicer on the Virus synths though this is a a bit subjective. Wave would be my second choice and agree with everything aymat said .

• Members

Thanks for the responses. I am definitely leaning more towards the Virus. I am very impressed with the added Atomizer feature. That looks like it could be awesome for chopping vox, and doing neat stuff with drum beats.

Cheers,

PB

• Members

If you want to write synthy/rock music, why not go with older DCO or hybrid analogs? Something like a JX8P w/PG800 + DW8000 would go a LONG way towards creating rock sounds and will be a lot more expressive than newer VAs, and an Alpha Juno still is as modern sounding as anything (as long as it's programmed right, of course).

• Members

Something like a JX8P w/PG800 + DW8000 would go a LONG way towards creating rock sounds and will be a lot more expressive than newer VAs...

Not sure about that one. The JX-8P (or JX-10, which I've spent a good amount of time with) is a great board but it's incredibly limited in what it can do compared to the three synths the OP mentioned. I guess it depends on how you work and your personal preferences, but the above statement doesn't really ring all that true across the board.

• Members

If you want to write synthy/rock music, why not go with older DCO or hybrid analogs? Something like a JX8P w/PG800 + DW8000 would go a LONG way towards creating rock sounds and will be a lot more expressive than newer VAs, and an Alpha Juno still is as modern sounding as anything (as long as it's programmed right, of course).

How would any of that be conveniently compact, or do glitchy sounds??

I think modern synths are every bit as expressive as vintage ones, some people just prefer the overall sound of something older.

-D

• Members

The Wave is pretty much my favorite synth, but with all the preferences you've listed, it sounds like the Virus is more up your alley. I would recommend the Wave for people who are looking for more organic, traditional musical sounds, with the ability to do some weird, twisted stuff with them with the synth engine. It is also especially good for programming your own sounds from scratch, because of its excellent interface, and how quickly you can assign parameters to performance controllers. The sample library's strong suit is mellotrons, accordions, and other wheezy things that maybe make you want to make a Tom Waits record. I'm sure you can do glitchy percussion but it isn't what I think of when I think of the Wave.

To throw another idea out there, probably the best synth I have ever owned for "glitchy percussion" is the Dave Smith Polyevolver. That thing gets very nasty when you start pegging the needles of its digital distortion and other tricks. I'm not saying that it would be better than the Virus (it would actually probably cover a lot less ground in terms of other sounds) but just thought I'd throw that out.

Archived