Home Stereo as guitar amp

roryfan

• Members

I have been experimenting with using my home stereo to amplifiy an acoustic guitar (with Artec single coil pickup) with surpisingly good results. I built an external pre-amp using a pre-amp module from Maplin's (UK version of Radio Shack) connected the guitar to this via the Phono input on the stereo. It gives a nice tone but the volume is relatively low. Has anyone else experimented in this area?

• Members

You might want to try going into one of the other inputs on your receiver/pre-amp. Using the "Phono" input adds the RIAA equalization curve to your guitar's signal. If that EQ curve works in your favor, fine, but I think you probably wouldn't want to have EQ on your signal other than the unit's tone controls.

• Members

Not a 'phono' input intended for a turntable, I just mean it has 'phono' type connections.

The input is marked 'EXT/MD' (i.e external/minidisc, I assume). It's a Technics micro system with treble and a bass adjustments only.

• Members

stereo manufacturers decided on a standard eq curve to optimize the signal/noise ratio on records. For some reason, they decided to make this eq preamp standard on all receivers instead of just putting it in the phonograph player. It's a mystery why they did it this way.

from wikipedia:

Phonograph recordings are made with high frequencies boosted. This reduces background noise, including clicks or pops, and also conserves the amount of physical space needed for each groove, by reducing the size of the larger low-frequency undulations. During playback the high frequencies are rescaled to their original level. This is accomplished in the amplifier with a "PHONO" input that incorporates standardized RIAA equalization circuitry.

• Members

Originally posted by roryfan

Not a 'phono' input intended for a turntable, I just mean it has 'phono' type connections.

The input is marked 'EXT/MD' (i.e external/minidisc, I assume). It's a Technics micro system with treble and a bass adjustments only.

Oh. That's very different. Never mind.

Archived