changing speakers

stevethecarr

• Members

I'm looking to change the speakers in my mesa 2x12 recto cab but I have run into a problem. Right now I have Celestion Vintage 30 in there and I'm looking to put a pair of Greenbacks or something of the sort, the problem is these speakers are rated at 25 watts each. I have a mesa mkI which is switchable between 60/100 watts, so my question is will I blow out these speakers if I try to put them in? If so what other speakers should I be looking into? I'm looking for a crunchy tone.

• Members

So long as you don't crank the amp on a continuous basis I wouldn't worry too much. But if you don't want to risk it you can look into the eminence private jacks which are supposed to be an eminence version of the greenback and have a higher wattage rating. I think something like 50watts as opposed to the 25 watt celestions.

• Members

Originally posted by stevethecarr

I'm looking to change the speakers in my mesa 2x12 recto cab but I have run into a problem. Right now I have Celestion Vintage 30 in there and I'm looking to put a pair of Greenbacks or something of the sort, the problem is these speakers are rated at 25 watts each. I have a mesa mkI which is switchable between 60/100 watts, so my question is will I blow out these speakers if I try to put them in? If so what other speakers should I be looking into? I'm looking for a crunchy tone.

Do you ever push the amp hard? If not, I wouldn't worry. If the amp puts out 100 watts, but you never take it over 2, the wattage is inconsequential. If you actually use all the wattage, that is another story entirely.

Keep in mind, if you put two greenbacks in your cab and wire them series, the cab can handle 50 watts. If you wire them parallel, the cab can only handle 25 watts safely.

If you have any serious concerns about the wattage, I would take El Guapo's advice and get the Private Jacks. In the past, Eminence speakers were a notch below Celestions, but these new Red Coat and Patriot series speakers are awesome. I haven't tried them all personally, but the ones I have gotten a chance to use have all impressed me, definately on a par with Celestions and usually much cheaper.

• Members

Originally posted by zepremains

i use the emience legend speakers and would like to hear comparisons.

Which ones do you use currently? There are a number of speakers in the Legend line, most of which I have first hand experience with.

In my opinion, the new Red Coat series and Patriot series speakers are an upgrade over the Legend series. The Legend series is almost 10 years old, Eminence obviously did a lot of R&D work over the last decade and invested their knowledge into the newer speakers.

My favorite Legend series speaker was the V12, and I recently had a chance to try the Eminence Wizard (Red Coat Series) and absolutely loved it. Very similar to the V12's, but with tighter bottom and better definition through the mids. I also have a couple of Screamin' Eagles (Patriot Series) in a cab with a couple of V12's and the combination of the two is friggin' awesome!

• Members

the only marking on the box is legend 1258

the back of the magnet just lists legend, nothing else as far as model. i'm happy with them and they were a lot less $$ than that company from overseas. i did buy them quite a few years ago

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Originally posted by MetalHed

Keep in mind, if you put two greenbacks in your cab and wire them series, the cab can handle 50 watts. If you wire them parallel, the cab can only handle 25 watts safely.

I dont think this is true.......

If all the speakers in a cab are equal (four 25 watt 8 ohm speakers) and they are wired correctly, then no matter what you do it will be a 100 watt cab.

For example, if two of the 25 watt speakers are in series together (to make 16 ohms) and the other two are in series (to make another 16 ohms) and then the two pairs are wired in parallel (for a total 8 ohm cab) you will have a 100 watt cab.

Or if you had four 4 ohm 25 watt speakers all wired in series, you would have a 16 ohm cab that is still rated at 100 watts.

Is this not correct? :confused:

The rule I was told (by several people) is a cab that has two speakers will only handle twice the lowest rated speaker. If I have a cab with a 25 watt and a 50 watt speaker, the most I should ever put into it is 50 watts. I'm not sure what the rule of thumb would be if it has four speakers in it.

• Members
Originally posted by soundchaser59

I dont think this is true.......

If all the speakers in a cab are equal (four 25 watt 8 ohm speakers) and they are wired correctly, then no matter what you do it will be a 100 watt cab.

For example, if two of the 25 watt speakers are in series together (to make 16 ohms) and the other two are in series (to make another 16 ohms) and then the two pairs are wired in parallel (for a total 8 ohm cab) you will have a 100 watt cab.

Or if you had four 4 ohm 25 watt speakers all wired in series, you would have a 16 ohm cab that is still rated at 100 watts.

Is this not correct?
:confused:

The rule I was told (by several people) is a cab that has two speakers will only handle twice the lowest rated speaker. If I have a cab with a 25 watt and a 50 watt speaker, the most I should ever put into it is 50 watts. I'm not sure what the rule of thumb would be if it has four speakers in it.

You are correct. Doesnt matter whether they are series or parallel wired -two 25 watt speakers will be rated 50 watts.

Second part is also true. Multiple the lowest wattage speaker bt number of speakers for power handling.

Also if you crank an amp it puts out WAY more than its rated power and that should be taken into consideration. A 100 watt amp cranked might put out well over 150-160 watts cranked-possibly closer to 200...

Archived