Higher gain bends on the higher strings and the subsequent dive bomb????

canucker1981

• Members

If I have any of my little amps cranked(tweed champ, maggies) and i do a double stop somewhere high up on the neck on the high e and b and even g strings I get the normal double stop bend and underneath those notes is a "dive bomb", sub-octave thing going on. Watch this video and you'll see and hear what i mean. Might have been a dumb way to explain it but the cideo says it all. Watch when he does the bends up high and plays with the tone knob. I find playing with the tone knob isn't really necessary but it demonstrates the "dive bomb" thing well in this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5870580749612687472&q=fatback+tele

• Members

I'm wondering if you're hearing the beat frequency or the intermodulation between the two notes being distorted... I honestly don't know what causes it, just guessing on those two. I'm thinkin' it might be the intermodulation though, I've heard there's a separate frequency created between the two notes when a diad is played.

• Members

In general, for two pitches that are quite close in frequency, the closer the frequencies of two pitches the more "roughness" there is in the resulting composite waveform. As two pitches approach each other they begin to produce beat oscillations, which are caused when the two pitches cause interference, or reinforce and cancel each others amplitudes. Most listeners experience these beat oscillations and interference as a roughness in the sound that is unpleasant or dissonant. The roughness increases to a certain point as frequencies of the two pitches become closer together, reaching a high point of roughness, then decreasing as the frequencies become perceptually indistinguishable.

Taken from wikipedia. Has some sound examples too. Very rock n roll.

Archived