voodoo modded marshall dsl distortion setting suggestions?

Reaxis

• Members

accidentally posted this in the electric guitar section... i meant to post it here!

presence, treble, mid, bass, gain positions for the distortion channel?

Id like ideas with the scoop function off..

thanks! im interested to see what comes up..

• Members

Hello;

Amp settings will vary greatly depending on gear. For example; If you can you list the guitar, pickups, cables, cabinet, speakers, etc. you are using we can recommend some settings.

Generally speaking; I would recommend starting with the EQ at 5 or noon and then adjust the gain to taste. From there you can dial in more/less bottom end, mids, highs, etc.

I would start by making sure your cabinet is not on casters so that it is making full contact with the floor/stage. This greatly helps the tone in the lower mids as well as the bottom end. If you like you can call the shop and I would happy to go through the rig with you and make some suggestions/recommendations, etc.

Have a great Thursday morning
Trace

• Members

Originally posted by Reaxis

accidentally posted this in the electric guitar section... i meant to post it here!

presence, treble, mid, bass, gain positions for the distortion channel?

Id like ideas with the scoop function off..

thanks! im interested to see what comes up..

I use my dsl 50 w/deluxe voodoo mod everyday. I play progressive hard/heavy rock and instrumental rock. I use Ibanez rg 6 and 7 string guitars. Pickups are constantly changing but include SD, SD3, DSonic, DSonic 7, Blaze Custom, and Tone Zone 7 in the bridge. Paf Pro, Air Norton, and Air Norton7 in the neck.

High Gain channel...

Pres - just under 4

Treb - just under 5

Mids - 4.5

Bass - 5.5-6

Gain - 10

Vol - 3

Deep - out (off)

Scoop - out (off)

Clean channel...

Same eq (obviously while playing live)

Deep - out

Scoop - out

Gain - 5

Volume - matched to equal gain - depending on the guitar 3.5-4.5

I don't use the 2 semi/mid gain channels while playing live. I did use them in the studio, but I don't remember the settings.

• Members

I have a witchdoctor and what I do is set all the EQ knobs to zero. Then I crank the amp volume up loud, and palm mute some lower strings and bring the bass up to taste (not overpowering!), then play the two middle strings and bring up the mids, then play a few chords and bring up the treble until it kinda sits right.

YMMV.

• Members

these are great suggestions... thanks guys!

pete, my settings are kind of similar. eq wise.

i like the rock sound, i listen to tool, smashing pumpkins, stone temple pilots, red hot chili peppers.. muse...

i had the gain at 5 up until now. on the lead one channel. Lately ive been experimenting with the settings, and after pushing the knob to lead 2, i found i loved the saturated sound.. it sounds fuller.. and more fun to play.. the only problem is.. sometimes it may sound cool by myself, but, in a live band setting, it can sound too much. and i know it can be a good thing to lay off the gain.

i couldnt make up my mind, i kept switching the knob on and off , moving the gain, and the mid- to the more scooped sound, or the fuller biting sound.. after i a while, i get kind of confused, and i lose perspective after trying to find that tone i like. ill try your guys suggestions though, keep em comin if you have more ideas!- thank you!

my gear:

epi les paul customs (jb +jazz, SD59n+b)
ibanez s470 (fat pafs guitarfetish)
ibanez sz320 (crunchy paf guitarfetish)
ibanez as73 (sd59n+br)

Voodoo deluxe mod marshall dsl100 w/ruby tubes

various pedals....

Archived