Nord Electro 2 Percussion, 2nd Harmonic, Normal, Fast = too quiet

• Members

When I use the 2nd harmonic percussion on "normal" (loud) is is not loud at all, however, when I switch to 3rd harmonic it reacts as expected.

So the question is: Does my Electro have a problem, or are they all that way?

If other Electro 2 owners could could check theirs I would appreciate it. I did try to search the yahoo group, but that interface just doesn't seem to work for me, I typically have very little luck finding information.

• Members

"When I use the 2nd harmonic percussion on "normal" (loud) is is not loud at all,

however, when I switch to 3rd harmonic it reacts as expected".

The 2nd harmonic is the fundamental (or 'root') note of the scale, whereas the 3rd harmonic is the 5th.

Because of this, the 2nd harmonic is slightly 'disguised' & the 3rd harmonic does stand out a bit more.

Here's an experiment you could try to see if there IS a difference in volume.....

Set all the drawbars to nil, so ONLY the percussion is sounding - & set decay to slow (so it sustains longer).

On the 2nd harmonic setting play the note "G".

(this is only an example - it will work in any scale, as long as the intervals are the same).

Now switch to 3rd harmonic, and play the note "C" below the G.

It will be the exactly the same pitch - so you'll be able to tell if there's any difference in volume.

There shouldn't be, so if there is, it looks like there may be a fault.

Let us know how you go on, yeh?

. . . . .

• Members

Let us know how you go on, yeh?

Yes. You see I have been playing Hammond organ for a couple decades now, I am quite familiar with how the 'touch response percussion' works. The Electro certainly captures the functionality of the hammond in every respect except this one.

I hadn't noticed it before because, frankly, I don't use 2nd harmonic very often (I understand that it is much more common in the UK). Anyway, I came across this issue a few weeks ago and decided to see if other Electro 2's behaved the same way. angstwulf seems to have the same thing happening.

This appears to be a Clavia fault. Now that this board is obsolete, I have expectation that it will be corrected, but it does beg the question...

Can you Electro 3 owners please chime in and let me know if it acts the same way?

Thanks!

-CA

Archived