Yamaha V50 - opinions?

iTatter

• Members

Hello H-C:

I was doing my usual scouring of craigslist, and ran into a guy trying to sell a Yamaha V50 for $200. The main reason I am interested in taking it is because he is including a hardcase ATA case (Guitar Center is trying to sell them to me for $300++ new). Also I'm trying to get him to throw in a X-stand and damper pedal, minor details.

Does anyone have any experience with the actual synth? I am still pretty new to the synth game, and only own a Korg R3 and Alesis Micron. Now this V50 is from like 1989, so it feels a bit pricey and I'm a bit wary of anything retaining functionality after 21 years.

Anyone have any insight or advice on this matter? Thanks guys

• Members

The V50 is a 16-voice TX81z with effects in a keyboard format. A single TX81z goes away for about $70, but they lack a lot of the controls and are user-interface wise boring 1U black rack boxes (I've got two of 'm).

The V50 doesn't show up that much in the classifieds, so I think the price is OK (not a steal, though).

• Members

And here's an example of one turning up onstage at a pro gig, although its probably not the best example for hearing what it sounds like. Rick Wakeman used one in the early '90s, so there might be footage of him using one someplace.

[YOUTUBE]zE9zvOSTCtU[/YOUTUBE]

Archived