Yamaha VL (Physical modeling) synthesis is forgotten?

AnalogGuy

• Members

I were wondering if Yamaha have supported this older but lovely synthesis method on any newer keyboard? I heard there's separated Plugin card for Motif but anything else?

I got new breath controller and I have been wow'ing the whole day with Yamaha EX-5R... it's just so amazing and the blowing really gives you totally new dimension to expressive keyboard playing... I constantly feel like I were blind and now I can suddenly see, or I got third hand!!! :eek:

:lol::lol:

:thu:

• Members

I use it on my S90ES. Love the Floboe, Mizuhorn, Chromharp, Mouthkey and Squeeze models. The emulative horns and reeds are tasty but these (mostly imagined) instruments, give you a familar yet unique voice.

Dave Sancious uses Mouthkey quite a bit.

Love to see an update of this technology!!!

• Members

Updates? I could think of three right away ...

1) Add modulation tools around the core dsp's to bring it more fully into the land of synthesis: LFO's and envelopes. Want to automate your bowing action (embouchure!!!!!) in a bowed string model? Put an LFO to work! You wouldn't put out an analog synth without allowing filters to be modulated by lfos and envelopes would you?

2) Speaking of embouchure, generalize the meta-model. It's far too wind instrument focused. More plucked/struck models please.

3) Improve fidelity and calculation integrity. I know the original VL's had a more processing capacity than the later modules and plug-ins. I am sure that Moores law has been at work in our favor here. There may be improvements in D/A and efx as well. I look at the stuff Yamaha is doing in it's CP1 signal chain, and I know there's complementary DSP right there.

The trouble, is the original team who developed this stuff is probably in retirement sipping martini's in an exotic locale (um or playing bridge at the senior center). As good as intellectual capital management is these days .... I wonder how much of this VL synthesis capability has been completely lost.

• Members

Thanks Support Guy. The CP1 sounds beautiful. Thank you Dr. K!

And Dr. K we hope you do NOT get to sip martinis in exotic locations until you have recreated a general synthesis platform for PM. :cop::)

Archived