Thanks to my new 4x12, my cheap rig is now complete!

Mind Riot

• Members

So I've been primarily a studio rat for the last few years. I was the bassist in a band for about six years or so, and when that went under I started focusing on writing and recording. I've been using a PODxt to record direct for some time now.

But recently, the drummer from that band, who is also a good friend of mine, wanted to jam with me again. I was faced with the prospect of having to put together a guitar rig of some sort.

I don't have a lot of money, so I thought about it in terms of the cheapest viable solution. I realized that with my PODxt and the Carvin DCM150 power amp that I use to power my studio monitors, all I really needed was a decent cab.

I scored a used Sonic 4x12 cab on ebay for $76, loaded with Eminence Legend M12's. With shipping and insurance, the total was $157.50. :thu:

When it got here I soon realized that one of the drivers was blown. I replaced it with a Celestion G12H-80 I had laying around, but since the Eminence drivers were 16 ohm and the Celestion was 8 ohm (as well as there being a big efficiency difference between the speakers) I decided to wire the three remaining Eminence drivers together and wired the Celestion to it's own jack. So the three Eminence drivers are presenting a load of 5.3 ohms, which is safe for my amp, and the Celestion is presenting it's load of 8 ohms, also safe.

I may get another matching Eminence driver eventually, but I needed the cab. I rewired the whole thing with some 14 gauge cable I had laying around. Here's a pic:

4x12Wiring3.jpg

We set up out at my folks house in the country, they were kind enough to let us use their enclosed porch. (My apartment wouldn't really work for this. :) )

Here's a pic of my friend's set, a Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage in emerald green with Sabian Hand Hammered cymbals. Nice set, I have to say.

Yamahadrums.jpg

I was a bit worried about whether or not the power amp would have enough juice to do the job. With the wiring setup I used, it would be putting out around 60-70 watts into the channel powering the three Eminence drivers, and 50 into the channel powering the Celestion. These are solid state watts, remember, no clipping allowed.

But I'm pleased to say that it worked splendidly and kept up with the drums just fine, even handling the seven string with no problems. The Eminence drivers, in particular, are very efficient speakers (102 db at 1w/1m), and they made the most of the available power. I'm paranoid about blowing the drivers, clipping the amp, or running too much bass into them, so I was constantly checking and listening for any flubbing or distortion (the bad kind, I mean. ;) ) Nothing but clean sound. Took me only a couple minutes to set up my sounds in the PODxt, and we were off and running. Never had to set the channel volume powering the Eminence speakers above half, and left the one powering the Celestion at about a third (you can see the settings in the pic).

I'm just pleased as punch that I put together a rig that can keep up with a hard hitting drummer, and I only had to get one thing to augment my existing studio gear to do it.

Here's a pic. Schecter 007 Blackjack seven string>PODxt w/ FBV Express footcontroller>Carvin DCM150 power amp>Sonic 4x12 w/ Eminence Legend M12's/Celestion G12H-80.

Guitarrig2.jpg

Viva la cheap rig!

• Members

Carvin makes some great power amps. One of their best and most consistant products over the years.

That`s actually a great little rig. With the pod you have all the tones you will need to jam. I would definitaly try to find another matching speaker to tie the cab back together, but if it works then it`s o`k..

Eric

Archived