Laney AOR vs GH50L

mtbiac

• Members

anyone know the difference between the AOR pro tube 50w head and GH50L 50w head? AOR is about $150 cheaper (used comparison)....same features and everything too I think. I'm looking to get that classic marshall JCM 800 crunch for CHEAP

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Bucketboy

Go to a Guitar Center and they'll track one down for you. I've seen AORs go for like $200 or less at GC.

AORs have less gain on tap as compared to a Gh50L.

that's fine, i'm not looking for crazy amounts of gain. 80s rock/metal mostly. Does it have that nice marshally crunch like the GH50l or ??

• Members

Cant go wrong with either,but Im partial to the AOR myself. Ive been it using it exclusively for nearly 20 years,and refuse to part with it. And if you need it ,there is plenty of gain on tap. Just spend more than 5 minutes with it getting used to the settings and tweaking it,etc. Its all there,you just need to know where to find it lol. It IS sensitive about pickups,though-the wrong ones will sound horrible. But a decent pair of P.A.F. types will do well for you through it. It is also picky about tubes. A little bit of experimenting will go a long way to finding some tones you'll love. And its a lot more versatile than "just" JCM 800 tones.

• Members

Oh,and no, it is HIGHLY unlikely that GC is ever going to track down a Laney for you,much less a 1980'S AOR head.

Most of the derelicts in there would give you that deer-in-the-headlights look if you asked them about a Laney.

• Members

Originally posted by Dimebag11

Dude, I live near Boca Raton.....you could buy my Laney VH100R. If you like the GH50L you'll love this beast

well unless you'll take like $400 for it....sorry man. Going back to college soon and need to save atleast alittle $$ for the bars :love:

• Members

Dude heres an AOR for ya

FLYING V 83

Hall of Fame Member

Sad day...selling my Laney AOR

Going on vacation Sunday and I'm broke (can't tell the wife that) so sadly I have to sell my beloved AOR Pro Tube Lead 50 head and my Marshall 1936 JCM800 2x12 cab. Both have covers, the cab has casters too, and the AOR has Rubys in it. Going to take 'em down to the music store and get whatever I can for them.

Hoping to walk away with $350-$450 for both.

Any north central Jersey forumites with $400 cash have 'til 4 pm today to get 'em. PM me.

Being broke sucks.....

Also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-AOR-50-PRO-TUBE-LEAD-head_W0QQitemZ170011093982QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Laney-GH100L-Voodoo-Modified-Hi-Gain-Guitar-Amp-Head_W0QQitemZ130010806076QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

I have just about every Laney head made....except the GH50L BUT comparing the AOR's to the GL50, or any current Laney, when you know what you are looking for already (the AOR's) is kinda crazy.

All Laney amps are kinda noisy, IMO, but the AOR's seems so tonal and things can be done to make them less noisy, so I'd certainly go with a AOR..

Get a AOR and find a amp dude to put some new thingies in your half baked AOR that you should certainly be buying very soon.

Make sure to get the 50 with the most knobs. The ones with fewer knobs don't sound as well and are only one channel (i'm attempting to be slightly funny again here but I mean what I said).

I'm so nutty about that AOR sound I a/b/y pedaled a overdriven AOR and a cleanly dialed in AOR so I could have a true clean channel which you can't do with a 2 channel AOR set to a 80's distortion without a stomp box. Not that I didn't have a few (or so) distortion/overdrives in my chain. :p

I'm big into a eq in the loop, btw, matter of fact I use(d) 2 of them in my AOR set ups: One scooped for metal and one a little mid pushed and volume increased for leads.

have fun.:thu::cool:

• Members

The noisy business in the AORs mostly applies to the ones made after about 1986/87 ,when they switched to diode clipping in the Preamp. A decent one from around 1984-1985 (theyre labeled in the back) is pretty quiet.

Archived