Used V-synth

• Members

Hi all. I just found a used V-synth GT and I'm really tempted. The thing is I dont know if I should spend the hard earned $ 1200 or so on a keyboard considering that I'm no pro or nothing. I already have an SH-201 and a couple of good soft synths that seem to have what I'm looking for and latency isn't much of an issue, but still, I know the V-synth is a hell of a board compared to the SH. My knowledge about the V and its features is limited. Would you guys go for it or is it not worth the upgrade -if you're not a pro musician I mean- and just stick to what I have? BTW, what's the V-synth GT worth (canadian) ? Thanks.

• Members

That's a very nice price, which I'm sure you could get back if you don't gel with the GT ...

Wouldn't it be great to have some REALLY nice for a change ... ???

But if your heart isn't in it ...

BTW ... Sell the SH-201 and it's even closer ... Unless you can't live without the programming interface of the SH-201, the V-Synth will run rings around it ... I doubt you'll miss its sound at all ...

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure the V-synth is way ahead of the SH when it comes to sounds and features. It's a synth I've been thinking about for a while but one thing is holding me back, and that it doesn't have a sequencer. I dont know.I dont think I can get more than $350-400 or so for my SH.So, I still have close to a thousand bucks to spend. Will have to think about it.

• Members

What synth at that level has a sequencer ... ??? Does even your SH-201 ... ??? The only synths that have sequencers are workstations ...

It's called, use your computer ...

On second thought, maybe you're not ready for V-Synth GT ...

Next you'll be complaining it doesn't have enough presets ...

• Members

"what synth at that level has a sequencer..." !!! It's like we're talking about a casio here. You know this was like $ 3000 or more brand new. There are a bunch of keyboards/synths that are workstations and are priced at or below $3000. Yea the SH doesn't have a sequencer and that's why I was thinking about getting one with. I know I could use my PC -and I have FL Studio- but I thought it'd be nice if I had a keyboard that has its own.

• Members

"what synth at that level has a sequencer..." !!! It's like we're talking about a casio here. You know this was like $ 3000 or more brand new. There are a bunch of keyboards/synths that are workstations and are priced at or below $3000. Yea the SH doesn't have a sequencer and that's why I was thinking about getting one with. I know I could use my PC -and I have FL Studio- but I thought it'd be nice if I had a keyboard that has its own.

Dude, you are completely missing the point ... (And I absolutely revoke my BUY recommendation ... )

Workstations are in a whole different class of synths like V-Synth GT, Nord Leads or Wave, Viruses, Korg Radias, Novation Supernova or any other programmable digital synth that isn't a workstation ... They simply don't come with a full-blown sequencer (sometimes a phrase sequencer like Alesis Micron) ... They're main function is to sound great and be programmable with lots of knobs and/or silders, usually in a subtractive synthesis fashion ...

Where are you getting this notion that synths like these come with sequencers ... ???

On the other hand, a Roland Fantom, Korg M3 or Triton or Yamaha Motif will have a sequencer at the heart of the setup ... Their main function is to provide a wide range of sounds with an emphasis on sampled acoustic simulations as well as sequencing and sampling options ... An all in one ... Perhaps this is what you want ... This is also a very reasonable place to start or build off of your SH-201 ...

Apples and onions ...

• Members

I bet you could sell it for more than that on Ebay if it is in good condition and includes the original box and manual and whatnot. The last used V-Synth GT that sold on Ebay went for $1995 (US dollars).

Archived