Kawai MP5 versus EP3

• Members

Has anyone played both? I've loved the Kawai MP series since the old MP9000. Both the MP5 and EP3 are the same price, 88 keys, and appear to have the same weight and action that is the most important factor. But I don't know that much about keyboards beyond playing them on basic settings, and I'm trying to figure out which would be the superior choice for me.

The EP3 has a two-track recorder that could be very useful for recording direct (ie recording it on the instrument, then sending the playback). The MP5 has many, many more sounds, but in the end I usually opt for a realistic-sounding piano or organ, and play around with others just for fun (even with electric guitars I don't use many effects because too much choice dampens my creativity). Although I suppose having bass sounds could be useful.

In a way it seems like the EP3 is the more natural choice, but I'm trying to figure out what exactly are the "superior" qualities that make it the same price as an MP5 with more bells and whistles. The onboard speakers?

Thanks!

Archived