Engl Screamer vs. Engl Blackmore

Megadeth7684

• Members

Originally posted by troublehead

I heard that too and find it hard to believe (even though I've never played a Blackmore). I've had 2 Screamers however. You've heard my clips and all the Blackmore clips sound much heavier/meatier.

Yeah, I was confused when Keith told me that. I still am. :confused:

• Members

I've owned both, and I didn't find that to be the case with mine Screamer and Blackmore...

To me the Blackmore has more gain. Does the 'chug' thing better than the Screamer as far as I'm concerned as well, which is why I sold the Screamer and eventually wound up with the Blackmore.

For the the Screamer is a good rock/hard rock amp.

The only thing I liked about the Screamer more than the Blackmore was the first two channels, and it had reverb.

I could get some nice Pink Floydish tones out of the 2nd channel.

• Members

Originally posted by feintguitarist

I've owned both, and I didn't find that to be the case with mine Screamer and Blackmore...

To me the Blackmore has more gain. Does the 'chug' thing better than the Screamer as far as I'm concerned as well, which is why I sold the Screamer and eventually wound up with the Blackmore.

For the the Screamer is a good rock/hard rock amp.

The only thing I liked about the Screamer more than the Blackmore was the first two channels, and it had reverb.

I could get some nice Pink Floydish tones out of the 2nd channel.

That's always how I thought of it, but DerekB agreed with Keith when he said the Screamer is more modern and has more gain. :confused:

• Members

I own both and love both. You can't go wrong with either amp. They both have killer gain. The screamer has a better clean and sound more modern and the blackmore has a more marshall feel to it.

It's all about the cabs and finding the right speaker match. I like private jacks with both.

• Members

Originally posted by gearo999

I own both and love both. You can't go wrong with either amp. They both have killer gain. The screamer has a better clean and sound more modern and the blackmore has a more marshall feel to it.

It's all about the cabs and finding the right speaker match. I like private jacks with both.

Any chance you could post a short comparison clip?

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

Any chance you could post a short comparison clip?

Distorted or clean?

I don't know what your looking for. I thought your Iron Maiden riffs were killer. I think a Bogner Shiva has a better clean then both of my amps. In a band situation they are both killer.

You are going to have to buy (& keep) at least 5 killer amps to be happy. I have two engl's, the Splawn QR, the Bogner 101b, a Peavey C30 and the Triamp. The Triamp I still don't have matched to the right (perfect cab) but is sound really good thru the orange. Just get used to the fact that you will have over $10k in amps and stop selling {censored} and you will be happy.

I will sell the C30 and get a new Shiva and the Triamp will be sold for a Herbert or Engl SE. I love my guitars and cabs (still trying new speakers though).

I wish I would have kept my 5150 half stack because it rocked. It had the bias mod and the clean sucked but it was a metal amp and I love that metal sound.

Overall I like the Blackmore better than the Screamer. It just sounds better to my ears. You had one and you know it rocks.

• Members

Originally posted by gearo999

Distorted or clean?

I don't know what your looking for. I thought your Iron Maiden riffs were killer. I think a Bogner Shiva has a better clean then both of my amps. In a band situation they are both killer.

You are going to have to buy (& keep) at least 5 killer amps to be happy. I have two engl's, the Splawn QR, the Bogner 101b, a Peavey C30 and the Triamp. The Triamp I still don't have matched to the right (perfect cab) but is sound really good thru the orange. Just get used to the fact that you will have over $10k in amps and stop selling {censored} and you will be happy.

I will sell the C30 and get a new Shiva and the Triamp will be sold for a Herbert or Engl SE. I love my guitars and cabs (still trying new speakers though).

I wish I would have kept my 5150 half stack because it rocked. It had the bias mod and the clean sucked but it was a metal amp and I love that metal sound.

Overall I like the Blackmore better than the Screamer. It just sounds better to my ears. You had one and you know it rocks.

I'd like to hear some high gain riffing. Downtuned stuff if possible, like Carcass or At The Gates style riffing. I am well aware of how badass the Blackmore is, but Keith got me gassing for a Screamer with his description of the amp.

• 13 years later...

Archived