I'm buying a 601 TSL. Talk me off!

separanets

• Members

I'vd finally checked out a Marshall 601 TSL.

First it seemed it was sounding ugly. It was going horribly until I realised I was holding a chepest Chinese guitar in my hands. I asked an assistent to fetch an SG and he brought an Angust singature. I was really astonished how much a good guitar could contriburte to the final sound. I have an SG Standard so I think it'll be ok with my one too.

Summary:

I liked the clean chan it was very nice

I liked the midgain in the midgain chan very much, so biting

I didn't like its high-gain chan at all.

First I was thinking of H&K Tube Edit's, but a salesman told me H&K's were not Marshall's, not like Marshall's, they had their own cool sound and if I wanted to have somewhat marshally (grits or stuff) I should consider only Marshall's.

So, I'm about to buy it. But it seems I'll overpay for the highgain channel I am aparrently not going to use.

Wouls you like to talke me off? Still it's not a kilo of apples, that I'm gonna buy.

• Members

I just got a TSL100 and love it, just make sure that it is biased properly (most folks like to run the bias a little colder than the Marshall specs), and get some good tubes. I like the HK's too, but I have yet to play any amp that sounds like a Marshall, other than Marshall.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I've had a TSL for about 2 years. The channel switch crapped out twice and not repairable now. If you look around you will find many people that have had lots of problems with this ranging from bad and or cheap midi wires bad circuit boards ,bad solder joints. I am selling mine because of this. The amp is useless without having a reliable channel switch for it. Marshall will not comment about this issue either. Run away from this amp!

• Members

You might want to consider a DSL, then. They've only got two channels, but I don't know if the second channel on the DSL is the TSLs high gain, mid gain or somewhere in between. I've heard a lot of people say the DSLs tone is actually a lot better than the TSL... I haven't tried them though, so don't take my word for it.

• Members

I never bought it. When I came to the shop, the one that an assistent fetched proved to sound too thin, not like the one I'd cheched in that store before. Besides the reverb was broken. I told them to bring me the one I tried the other day. In that one the sound was better, but the reverb was also broken. I left the shop with no TSL. I'll never ever buy them even used.

I recently bought an Engater IE4 and people say its high-gain cirquit is totally identical to the JCM800 2203 preamp section. i'm quite satisfied with it.

Archived