Priorities for my All-around rig...

• Members

I came on here a couple months ago and seeked out some advice on building my rig... i know hve some of the finer points worked about but I want to get some opiions and maybe some advice. Firstly, Powered PA speakers... do i need two to make it sound good in stereo? or can i live with one?

Also, I plan to make a major keyboard purchaser at the end of the summer. This is where the tricky part comes in: I want a Hammond XK1 AND a Roland FP4... But I'm not gonna be able to get both!! So Im really looking for an opinion on what I should lean towards. Ill try to make my background as short as possible:

Piano for about 7 years on and off, got back into piano and then really into keyboards for about 2-3 years now. I currently have ONLY a Juno-Di, and of course the old upright acoustic that every house in america has in it. I am currently playing with a band (we are badddd with no singer, and argue too much, but thats a different story). But recently its dawned on me Im probably going to be focusing more on solo work. Im probably going to play a local resteraunt a couple times this summer. I also play keyboards for my school Jazz band (bass keyboards, occasional Piano when the other pianist has to play flute, and most synth/organ stuff). And then theres my band. Now in my band i do a lot of synth stuff, and we are still forming a style, but i feel i will ALWAYS try to incorperate hammond into my style..... but who knows...

well this is too long, Ill probably post some more thoughts later, but please help me out, ill take ANY advice. thanks everyone!!!

• Members

For live use you will probably want to run your keyboards through the PA. Most players have a keyboard amp or powered monitor that tghey use for a stage monitor in smaller venues or for practice.

Most PA setups are not and probably should not be run in stereo. The last thing you want is an effect to be heard by only the half of the room near your left speaker. So, for larger setups especially, you will probably want to run mono.

So, My advice to you is to get two powered speakers to use as a small PA for your band but run it in mono. If you already have a PA, you might just want a portable keyboard amp or a single powered speaker to use for practice.

Archived