Ran a Laney GH50L through a Mode 4 cab last night...

Astynax

• Members

...and it sounded pretty fine! We got drafted in to play a gig at the last minute and I was running my old Laney through one of those massive Marshall Mode 4 cabs that one of the other bands were using. I wasn't expecting much given the reputation that Mode 4 stuff has but blow me down if it didn't deliver the goods. Cut through the mix like a knife and absolutely buried the 5150 full stack that our other guitarist was using (not his amp, he usually uses a VH100R).

Definitely surprised by the cab though - indeed, the band after us was using the Mode 4 cab and head together and it wasn't that bad at all. Thick yet defined sound, quite surprised.

• Members

i jammed on one hard maybe 3 songs, fukin thing killed every thing in its path!! seems everyone on any forums seem to dislike mode -4 ,or kranks, these are guitar amps people if your truley into gear ,playing music seems like when you test drive all amps,respect the fact that you had the pleasure of trying it out,dont move so quick to bash it, thanks...

• Members

Well, I didn't play through the Mode-4 head itself but it certainly sounded OK when the other band were using it. Better than the 5150 which was surprising. Perhaps the 5150 wasn't impedance matched with the cab? Or maybe it was down too low. It sounded fine by itself but got lost in the mix - seemed a little buzzy and thin. Too much gain perhaps?

• Members

I'd agree that the Mode-4 heads seem overpriced for what they are (a hybrid amp at best). I've never played one myself, nor heard one until last night. Fact remains, from my vantage point last night, it outshone the 5150. Much more cutting and clear, although how much of that was down to the cab rather than the head remains to be seen... like I said, the cab was awesome when the GH50L was running through it.

Archived