Rivera R100 fans?

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

anybody know about these? I tried searching for them on ebay to see what they are worth but there isn't much. Two of them to be exact, one for 1200 and change and one for 800 and niether of them had a single bid... looks like it might be called the duo 12 as well...

I was offered one in trade for my uberschall plus cash, but like I said I'm not entirely sure what they are worth. I keep hearing about the R-55 and the pubster/chubster, but never this R100.

Do they stay in the tradition of the others I've mentioned with the outstanding cleans and marshall crunch? sounds like the R100 might just be the higher wattage and 2x12 version of the Suprema, which I'd be very happy with...

• Members

Tons of noise, turned out that there was something wrong with the amp's innards and had to go back..

Another one with a dude blowing power tubes a lot, despite getting a clean bill of health.

Sounds great though other than the issues from those two people.

• Members

dont get that one... get the m100 combo's. Way more versatile!

pentode/triode operation, el34's

2 effects loops, ninja boost, slavemaster (just have to hear it), reverb, effects loop has send and return control levels, 2 channels with MANY push/pull knobs to vary the tone greatly. Super tweakable to get a TON of sounds. Awesome amps. I just got the M60 head and matching 410 cab and I think I have finally found MY amp.

• Members

wow, thanks guys, you've been seriously helpful...

Turns out this guy has a rivera fullstack and one of those powered sub things, so he knows his Rivera stuff... I told him I was concerned that the 2x12 would be overkill for me and he agreed and recommended the R-55 which was crazy cuz thats the one I've wanted for a while and I never told him that... I'm waiting to see if he knows about a dealer, because he has so much Rivera stuff, looks like this could work out pretty well... He doesn't really sound like he wants to get rid of the 2x12 anyway.

• Members

Yes that's true I don't care too much to get rid of it and if I did I would get another later. The stuff I read before I got the rivera which was written by amp techs and builders is that they are built as solid as they come. I have worked on a large amound of different amps and the only one that I would say is more of a Tank is the Diezel Herbert I biased for a friend. As for the guy who says two people told him they had problems well guess what every amp made has problems for someone. I had a 5150 II that didn't sound right. I took it to a local tech as it was less than a year old, he opened it up and checked all the spots for signal and current and then said no it's in perfect condition. I got out my bias probes and one of the tube sockets wasn't getting power. He was stunned and said it should be making all kinds of noise with that problem. Turned out it had a bad screen grid resistor. Does that mean 5150's are made bad because he gave it a clean bill of health and was ready to send me home...NO it means he was mistaken. ALSO New in the store they were 1899 if you can find one new as they have recently gone to special order only and the price is now 2099. They are like mesa and have a set price that a dealer can sell them for. .. If you want to find a Rivera dealer near you go to ... http://www.rivera.com/dlr_us.php pic your state and start looking. The closeset one to me is 50 miles other than one in sac that only carries the acoustic amps... The R 55 IS just a lower power R100 with a single speaker.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

don't play through that guy's sub, or you'll drive yourself crazy trying to find one for yourself.

i still hate myself for selling the one i had. not sure what i was thinking that day...

So I've heard... I dunno tho, I'm not really into the chugga chugga stuff that sounds like it's coming out of a souped up honda, you know what I mean? I wonder if I'd still dig it... I do plan on checking it out while I'm there just because my curiosity is pretty strong.

and hey Critter, nice to see you here... Crazy how you found my thread, haha. We are definitely gonna have to hang out and mess with some amps.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

So I've heard... I dunno tho, I'm not really into the chugga chugga stuff that sounds like it's coming out of a souped up honda, you know what I mean? I wonder if I'd still dig it... I do plan on checking it out while I'm there just because my curiosity is pretty strong.

and hey Critter, nice to see you here... Crazy how you found my thread, haha. We are definitely gonna have to hang out and mess with some amps.

you can't really guess what they do until you hear them. they don't add anything that's not already there, they just reinforce the fundamental tone that the amp produces. you can't tell they're working until you turn them off, and the amp suddenly sounds like an AM radio.

they're not "chugga chugga" machines (though they certainly improve that as well), and they don't sound artificial or fake in any way. in fact, they clear things up so much that you can hear the amp's voice a lot better. they're *amazing* for cleans. strum a clean chord on the neck pickup and the clarity will make your jaw hit the floor. bang out some AC/DC type riffs, and your nads will hit the floor.

like i said... don't play it unless you are ready to hunt one down. they're kinda hard to find.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

Fyi, there's a guy selling a M100 up here in Seattle potaetoes. I think he wants $700.

i'd be all over it, except i just graduated from school, signed a new lease, put new tires on my car, bought dog food, and a bunch of other crap... all without a job :D

• Members

Hahaha...

I was thinking about checking it out but I really only do metal stuff and I don't have a place to play the amp at home... You have any opinions on the M100? Metal-able or more rock?

i don't even know what "metal" means anymore. they're not ultra-modern sounding, if that's what you mean, but they have plenty of gain and can sound really mean.

• Members

i don't even know what "metal" means anymore. they're not ultra-modern sounding, if that's what you mean, but they have plenty of gain and can sound really mean.

I wish I could find some clips of it somewhere. I don't want to waste the guys time / my own time... I'm not a gain on 10 guy.. Never ran the gain on any amount higher than 5 (no boost either).

• Members

I know exactly how you feel...

I go about it the same way too, when ever I hear people say they want "metal" I substitute it mentally for the word "modern" and move on from there

its worked pretty well lately

• Members

I wish I could find some clips of it somewhere. I don't want to waste the guys time / my own time... I'm not a gain on 10 guy.. Never ran the gain on any amount higher than 5 (no boost either).

i've got a little demo clip of my old m100 here:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3635940&q=hi

it's nothing special -i'm just running through the controls on the front panel.i think about 3 minutes or so i get to the gain channel.

• Members

there used to be some clips on the rivera site...

basically, the M/S series amps were a slightly more gritty take on the basic rivera thing, which is like a thicker/richer marshally voicing. lots of chewy/growly mids and a bit of hair on top, with a decent low end. add a sub to one, and you could probably hang with any modern amp, but it won't be modern recto/ubershall/engl type gain texture. it's definitely got firm roots in the marshall side of things.

• Members

Originally posted by garfight

i've got a little demo clip of my old m100 here:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3635940&q=hi

it's nothing special -i'm just running through the controls on the front panel.i think about 3 minutes or so i get to the gain channel.

Wow, sounds bad ass... Cool demo. Thanks for sharing :thu:

Definitely can nail those hard rock tones real nice.

• Members

Wow, sounds bad ass... Cool demo. Thanks for sharing
:thu:

Definitely can nail those hard rock tones real nice.

no problem mang - the m series amps get a bad rap because people don't spend the time to tweak em.i think it took about 2 weeks for me to be able to get the tones i wanted without looking at the manual :)

the m- series amps excel at the hard rock/early metal and stoner stuff for sure:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

I make all my Rivera amp adjustments in 1/2 increments
:wave:
(R55 converted to a head, going through a 2x12)

I wasn't aware they used active E.Q.

I can imagine once I get my R-55 (and I'm almost positive I will now) that I will be quite lost for a while... I'll probably be coming to Alan and Garfight for pointers, heh

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I wasn't aware they used active E.Q.

I can imagine once I get my R-55 (and I'm almost positive I will now) that I will be quite lost for a while... I'll probably be coming to Alan and Garfight for pointers, heh

I can tell you this,

I can make it sound like whatever I can dream up.

ONce I broke down and joined the OD Pedal+High master volume club, I was sold. My Rivera is like a trusty old truck and I don't plan on any amp shoppin in the future.

(low output humbucker in the bridge, going into this amp, is another cool thing too.)

• Members

Originally posted by Alanfc

I can tell you this,

I can make it sound like whatever I can dream up.

ONce I broke down and joined the OD Pedal+High master volume club, I was sold. My Rivera is like a trusty old truck and I don't plan on any amp shoppin in the future.

(low output humbucker in the bridge, going into this amp, is another cool thing too.)

I think I'm just going to turn the knobs with my eyes closed...

I'm learning to try settings that I'd normally never even consider lately, but I always hear about guys who are used to passive E.Q. hating active E.Q.'s and I think its because the entire approach is different so some retraining is definitely in order

Archived