Which vocoder does Daft Punk use?

• Members

Please your help.

I have tried some vocoders (examples the Korg R3's, EHX V256, Virus B's vocoder, etc). None of them achieves the expresiveness of the vocoder Daft Punk uses. The vocoder they use sounds so great compared with what I have used that I would compare it with the difference between analog and digital in synths (maybe they mix it so well and they use so good compressors that it would make a difference too). Do they use a kind of analog vocoder?, which one?.

ps: BTW, the best I have tried so far is the V256. Nice stuff.

Thanks! :thu:

• Members

But which vocoder do they use, do you know that?. I believe that the vocoder they use is important too, maybe I am wrong. I have the impression it is not a digital vocoder, I believe, for the sound they get, it is analog (at least it sounds like that). Am I right?. If the issue is that I need to get real analog sounds using digital stuff, maybe I would never get the same no matter how much I work with the recording and the sound, I would get just similar things. I would love to be wrong, since I dont want to spend more money than what I pay for the V256, which is really great (the best so far), but it does not sound that fat and great (specially the robot voice).

• Members

xmlguy's talking about a talk box.

But a little online research shows they use both talk boxes and vocoders, so the OP's question is valid.

Maybe asking about a specific song would help more though, I'm sure they've used different things on different albums.

Also: you can't get "real analog sounds" using "digital stuff". You can get an analog simulation, though.

• Members

For example the vocoder they used in the album "Human After All".

As example I would put the songs Robot Rock and Human After All, or maybe Technologic (with the "female" voice talking). The vocoder effects sound different but they have things in common at the same time, I mean, it is like if they were achieved with the same vocoder, which sounds fat, clear and with that analog sensation to me (for example if I use a Virus, no matter what sounds or effect I use, it just sounds like a Virus).

I have the impresion they used the same vocoder they used in the album "Discovery". The album Human After All sounds a bit better IMHO (it sounds EXCELLENT actually, without saying the Discovery sounds bad, because it is GREAT), but to my ears, the essense of the sounds is there too.

explaining a little more: I am asking this because I would like to buy that gear that makes that great sound, thats all. I do not want to copy Daft Punk or nothing similar to that.

• Members

Technologic would be a pitch shifter, not a vocoder.

As I said, they probably used tons of stuff - you won't find one device that will do it all. Every song was probably different. But the pitch shifter, the talk box and the vocoder (probably several different ones) got used a lot.

And, for now, get rid of concepts like "analog sensation" - that doesn't mean anything in this case. If you don't even know what kind of effect is being used, it doesn't matter if it's analog or digital, tube or transistor.

They also use Autotune to an extreme, like on One More Time and Harder Better Faster Stronger.

• Members

oh {censored}, if thats the case maybe I do not have enough money...

what a "pitch shifter" exactly is?, does it add also an effect to the voice apart of modifying the pitch of the signal?

If you are short on money, start with Autotune...

As for adding effects, they obviously use all sorts of effects...

Like I said, if you're looking for a one-device-will-do-it-all thingie, then you're being too simplistic... it's likely a combination of lots of stuff.

• Members

Does anyone have any idea how they do the voice in "Harder Better Faster Stronger"?

I can think of the really tedious route of basically writing a midi melody, and then sample substituting each word. This would obviously be a pain because they use different words on the same note and such. Obviously it was totally worth it because it sounds amazing and the effect is hilarious, but I'm wondering if there's a less tedious route...

• Members

But in reality, I think the vocoder matters less than the carrier signal. If you use a VA as the carrier to the vocoder (most vocoder effects on synths like the virus use the internal synthesizer as the carrier) you will sound like a VA. But for example in Ableton Live's vocoder, you can select a carrier signal at will, so you could use a very nice rich analog synth as the carrier, and achieve much better results.

• Members

It matters not. Buying the same equipment they use will not make you sound like them.

Maybe, but it would be less difficult, right?.

I remember when I had a rompler and everybody said that I needed to explore better my machine to obtain great results (talking about electronic sounds), and I tried all days exploring my machine in full, achieving nice results at the end, but when I purchased my first VA I noticed the great difference and aI said "why did I follow that advise and wasted so much time?". Thats why I am sure that the equipment is actually important too.

What I can conclude now is that I need to invest more money and that it is a mistery what exactly they use.

Thank you all for all your answers.:thu:

Reptilian

• Members

But for example in Ableton Live's vocoder, you can select a carrier signal at will, so you could use a very nice rich analog synth as the carrier, and achieve much better results.

the ablive vocoder is AWESOME ... probably the best software vocoder ive ever used

the ability to mess with the bandwidth and other settings gives you a ton of range

but yeh, the carrier signal is super important - ive had very good results with c64 emulators and other chiptune style plugins

• Members

there was a thread somewheres about this where soemone said the carrier signal in the most "expressive" songs is an electric guitar. i though they were on crack but the more you listen to the bends, etc its kinda like a vocoder guitar solos !!!!

i think they also use an ensoniq dp/4 and behringer melody. please keep in mind its really not the gears tho its the pure french geniousness oozing out of the speakers. they're still like 20 years ahead of the dance music curve its pretty sick

• Members

I'd say for simplicity and live appeal... get the EH v256.

If you wanna nail the Discovery sound... get a VP9000 and stay in the studio. Lots of the effects (especially dist,overdrive,etc) on that album sounds like the VP ... not just the vocals.

Archived