Suggestions for my new amp rig????

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

As many of you know, next May I will be getting a big check and will have $3,500 to spend on musical gear. I think I`m going to spend the majority of it on upgrading the amp part of my rig. I have a few ideas so far.

1) Buy a 5150 II to mate with my Single Recto and run both at once for a "wall of sound". I will have Voodoo Amps mod my Recto to fine tune the bass and EQ levels and FJA mod my 5150 II. Also to fine tune it to my specs(origional lead, clarity, bias, 1/2 power switch). I`ll run the Recto through a Boogie traditional cab and the 5150 II through a Boogie standard cab.

2) Sell the Single Recto I have and buy a Splawn Pro Mod and matching 4x12.

3) Wait for the hopefully soon release of the Voodoo Amps Witchdoctor production model, sell the Single Recto, buy a Witchdoctor and the matching 4x12.

4) Sell the Single Recto, buy a VHT UL and matching 4x12

5) Sell the Single Recto, buy a used Bogner Uber and matching uberkab.

6) Other, by suggestion.

The tone I like is saturated like the 5150 series, but fairly clear. I don`t use a lot of complex chord voicings with high gain so I don`t want or need high doller boutique clarity. I do want a nice saturated tone.

I don`t want boomy super woofy bass. I want the tone to be thick and tight with plenty of pleasant mids and highs. I don`t do cover tunes and all my origional music is based on 80`s thrash, but with the added grind of modern tones. Lots of palm muting and brisk tempo. I want to sound big and be able to cut through.

I do not like to use a boost pedal for my high gain tones unless I just need to step out front for soloing which I do infrequently. I prefer to play rhythm.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I`m just starting my research so you guys will have a lot to do with what I look at in the beginning. I`m not afraid to buy used if there is something more expensive that you might suggest. I do already have the Boogie standard cab so I might be able to get away with spending up to $2,000 to $2,500 on just the amp head.

Thanks guys,

Eric

• Members

Witchdoctor! Witchdoctor! Pics and clips now!

Sorry, all the forum suicides are getting to me. :)

Anyway, I don't think you'd like an UL if you prefer the 5150 style saturated tone. Also, you might think about adding a Mark III to your rig which is also capable of a tight aggressive sound with plenty of saturation.

• Members

Originally posted by vexed73

Why not a Mesa Road King?

The Roadking is just over-kill to me. I don`t want or need all those options. I just use three or four basic tones. Warm clean, low gain breaking clean, thick and heavy rhythm and thick mid based lead.

Mark, I think you are right abou the VHT, but I still want to try one. I`m thinking it will be too dry and won`t have enough saturation for me. I did want to include it on my list though. Never know, it could be killer for me.

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

A custom build?

Pro: customized to your requirements.

Con: Poor resale value.

I`ve actually checked out the Peters dual channel head. Looked around his website and listened to the high gain stuff. I liked what he was getting, but it might be a little too refined. Although it does have good saturation and punch. I`ll add that one to my list.

Are there others I should also add?

Eric

Archived