Korg Z1- some (oscillator)models not working properly

iphoenix

• Members

Badly behaved models.

Ive had a problem with my Korg Z1 for a while now & I was wondering if anyone had any similar issues with their Z1 or if any of you had heard of a similar problem.

All of the acoustic model oscillators produce a nasty distorted sound, also the 'comb filter' oscillator unfortunatly.

which distorts in exactly a similar manner to the others. They all essentially sound more or less exactly the same .. & nasty.

I can play one note , for example, of say the 'plucked strings' oscillator models or any of the other string, reed , or brass ones & it usually plays ok, but when I play the next note, it distorts at a terrible & disturbing & ear assaulting level. The distortion sounds almost exactly the same from patch to patch & in every acoustic model, its a very ugly sound. Totally unusable. However & luckily the electric piano, organ & all the synth oscillators

( except for the' comb filter' oscs unfortunatly) work as they should.

I havnt sent it for repair because I need it ( its my main synth) & I dont miss the offensive models much except for (the sweet kisses of) the comb filters, which I would love to have working again, also I live far away ( & overseas) from any good technicians, so that puts a delay & considerable extra cost & hassle on it.

I have been making do with it, because I mainly use the other oscillators anyway . I was just wondering if any of you have had a similar problem or have any ideas on what could be wrong. I tried a factory reset of some of the offending patches . No change. Also I have the other sound card with the extra sound set, ( came out about a year after the Z1) but its the same with the same oscillators on that , as it would be.

Midi in , no difference. Ive checked the fx ( distortion/ overdrive etc) obviously , & the output levels & velocity & aftertouch settings.

It works perfectly otherwise. Any thoughts? Thanks.. in harmony , P

Archived