Live amp shootout:Madison+Dual Rec/ XXX / 5150 II/ Ubershall+Marshall 800/ Mesa F-50

penguin_316

• Members

Saw a bunch of bands yesterday...not much to talk about music wise....but I paid special attension to all the rigs and their tones.

To start with...with all these high gain heads in one spot only one band pushed their into really high gain. The other bands were more alt-rock orientated.

Madison+Dual Rec- They were metalcore...their tone was quite well defined but the Madison(new 2 channel) was a bit mushy. I used to have one and mine wasn't so undefined. I think he just had the gain up too much. Overall 5/10

XXX- Buzzy as usual...but when he switched to a led tone it really soared and was sooo much smoother. He didn't have a boost either. 2/10 overall...but 7/10 for that lead tone.

5150 II- The band sounded just like Incubus.....I was really impressed with it. It had a certain bite to it but it wasn't buzzy. 6/10

Mesa F50- These guys were emo so their tone was definately lower gain but it sounded great. Imagine a heavy Weezer kind of tone. It had dimension. 8/10

Uber+Marshall 800- Best sounds of the night. Although i was really disappointed this wasn't a metal band....they were alt rock. The Uber sounded great and it nailed that Alice in Chains vibe...especially when he used his Budda wah with it. The marshall was...a marshall, nuff said. 9/10

So I still haven't heard in person what an Uber can do at its peak...so I'm pretty pissed. :mad:

Archived