How long do you keep your keyb stands ?

Logicat

• Members

I was wondering if you guys change your 'old' stands on a regular basis, regardless of the amount of time you play the keyboards you've put on them.

The most expensive synths i own are on a Quiklok 3-tiers stand, which is many years old. Up to date, i never had any kind of problem with it. The stress on it is not high, since i use it only at home, i play quite seldom and my arms are not 8/9 kilos each. My playing style is also moderated, no virtuosism here.

But it is the X kind of stand. Not sure why, but i often read of people that don't trust it, when talking about duration/toughness.

So i'm asking, should i have to renew it ? How many years do you keep your own keyb stands prior to change them ?

• Members

Logicat,

I don't think you should worry about your stand's age. It will last as long as you live [assuming you don't do gigs].

But I tend to agree about the X ones. For me, they have the following disadvantages:

1. They tend to rock forward & backward [on a thick carpet for instance]. So you must be very careful with that.

2. Sustain pedal: I personally hate having to slide my foot under the bottom half of the X. It feels very cumbersome.

3. The X-shape kills the entire floor surface area under the synth: a chair can't be pushed in completely. It sucks in my case because I have a VERY small room and every bit of space is needed.

4. Reaching stuff behind the stand [power cables, audio & MIDI cables, surge protectors/power conditioners, etc] and cleaning things etc. is a pain because of the X-shape.

KSS user Rugge78 just posted a picture of a beautiful table-like double keyboard stand in the "July New Gear" thread. Now THAT'S what I call a stand [but I didn't even bother looking it up because I know I can't afford it]. Aside from the ability to adjust the length of the stand horizontally, notice something about the 2 crossbars on either side? :idea:You can slide a shelf at the very back and store things that you don't have to reach often [for example: audio interface, or anything you want and that can sit on the shelf];)

Good luck:thu:

• Members

;)

Good luck:thu:

Well, i have to agree with you. Actually they're quite uncomfortable for those reasons...:cool:

Maybe i can get a better, non-x shaped one as i start to play my synths on a regular basis :thu:

• Members

LKSS user Rugge78 just posted a picture of a
in the "July New Gear" thread. Now THAT'S what I call a stand

I have this platform stand. The main stand itself is very nice; it works great with organs, and anything heavy. It folds up, quick and easy. And its usually pretty cheap, like fifty or sixty bucks. HOWEVER...

The second tier totally sucks. Firstly, it isn't very stable, unless you use the crossbar. If you use the crossbar, you have to expand the platform part, which is a pain. Second, if you're using a keyboard that is very deep, it will force you to make the bottom synth jut out of the front. Third, if you're using this with your gig rig, you have to disassemble and reassemble the second tier every time you breakdown/setup.

But the platform stand by itself is great.

Archived